10 Facts: AC/DC
Day 2 of Rocktober is in full swing. This morning local radio station Tuks FM announced (much to my delight) that it was AC/DC day today. This Australian Hard-Rock band is definitely one of my favorite rock bands of all time. I was first introduced to their epic sound in 1991 (when The Razors Edge album was released).
Their songs Thunderstruck and Money Talks were etched onto my musical soul forever. Their musical style has not changed one bit since their formation. I really wish that South African promoters would get their thumbs out of their asses and bring them over to South Africa before I die. Today’s 10 Facts Topic is AC/DC.
Here are 10 facts about AC/DC:
- AC/DC was formed in 1973 by brothers Malcolm and Angus Young in Sydney, Australia
- The idea for the band’s name came after the Young brother’s older sister Margaret saw the initials “AC/DC” on a sewing machine (meaning “alternate current / direct current”). Malcolm and Angus Young felt that this name symbolised the band’s raw energy, power-driven performances, and a love for their music.
- AC/DC are colloquially known as “Acca Dacca” in Australia.
- The current members of AC/DC are Malcolm Young, Angus Young, Phil Rudd, Cliff Williams and Brian Johnson.
- Former members of AC/DC are Dave Evans, Larry Van Kriedt, Colin Burgess, Neil Smith, Ron Carpenter, Russell Coleman,
Noel Taylor, Peter Clack, Rob Bailey, Bon Scott, Mark Evans, Simon Wright and Chris Slade.
- Former AC/DC lead vocalist Bon Scott died in 1980 in London. He had passed out in a car after a heavy night of drinking at the Machine Club and did not wake up the next morning. The official cause was listed as “acute alcohol poisoning”. Bon Scott had been the band’s lead vocalist from 1974.
- According to 2010 statistics AC/DC have sold more than 200 million albums worldwide. 71 million albums were sold in the United States. Their 1980 release Back in Black has sold an estimated 49 million units worldwide (making it the highest-selling album by any band and the second-highest-selling album in history behind the Michael Jackson Thriller album). This album has sold 22 million copies in the US alone.
- AC/DC was ranked 4th on VH1’s list of the “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock” and were named the seventh “Greatest Heavy Metal Band of All Time” by MTV. AC/DC were ranked number 72 in the Rolling Stone list of the “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” in 2004. AC/DC were ranked number 23 in the VH1 list of the “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” in 2010.
- AC/DC have had streets named after them in Leganes (near Madrid) in Spain and Melbourne in Australia.
- To date AC/DC have released 14 studio albums worldwide. 4 albums were issued in Australia only. 2 compilations were released as soundtracks. 3 live recordings, 12 video collections of concerts and music videos and 2 box sets have also been released. AC/DC have refused to release their albums on iTunes since the service normally allows downloading of individual tracks and that doesn’t represent them musically.
There you have it, 10 facts about AC/DC. If you have another fact that you wanna add about AC/DC, please comment on this post. Feedback is appreciated and welcome. For more information, check out the official AC/DC website at http://www.acdc.com/. According to recent statements in the media by the band they will be releasing a new studio album in the next couple of years (which will be followed up by another world tour).
Because some of you might want to be reminded what AC/DC sounds like, I thought it would be an excellent idea to include the music video for Shoot To Thrill (from the Iron Man 2 soundtrack).
Feel free to check out the other posts in the Facts category of Running Wolf’s Rant. The 10 facts and 20 facts sections are updated regularly.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 teaser trailer released - October 19, 2016
- Henry Rollins Interview (Video) - October 19, 2016
- Photo Album: Jack Parow @ Aandklas Hatfield - October 18, 2016