10 Facts: Ancient Egypt
Ancient Egypt was a civilization in North Africa. It’s a subject that has always fascinated me. For this reason it has been selected as the 10 facts topic on Running Wolf’s Rant today. Watch this space for regular updates in the Facts category of the blog. You might also want to check out the daily updated Babes and Photography categories as well.
Here are some facts about Ancient Egypt:
- Many of today’s household objects were invented or used by the ancient Egyptians, including the lock and keys, combs, scissors, wigs, makeup, deodorants, toothbrush and toothpaste.
- The Ancient Egyptians were among the very first people to invent writing, along with ink and paper.
- The 365 day calendar and the 24-Hour division of the day are Ancient Egyptian inventions.
- Cement was first invented by the Ancient Egyptians.
- Ancient Egyptians were the first holistic health practitioners. They treated the whole person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Remedies ranged from herbal and magic medicine to surgery.They prescribed contraceptives, performed circumsicions and conducted pregnancy tests. The practice of mummification made them excel in Anatomy.
- The earliest known wine cellars were discovered in Egypt.
- Ancient Egyptian workers organized the first known labor strike.
- Ancient Egyptians devised irrigation systems, reservoirs and ways of measuring the flood levels. These are called nilometers and several are located along monuments close to the river banks.
- The first written international peace treaty happened between Rameses the Second of Egypt and Hattusili III of the Hittite empire.
- The Egyptian game of Senet is one of the world’s oldest known board games.
If I’ve left out anything important, please comment on this post.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- A quick interview with Adventure Man - March 24, 2017
- 10 Things You Did Not Know About Stoker - March 23, 2017
- Francois Van Coke Behaal Sukses Met Sy 2de Solo Album - March 23, 2017