10 Facts: Argentina
Argentina is one of the Southernmost countries on the South American continent. It’s one of the countries in South America that I wanna visit one day. This country has been selected as the 10 facts topic for today on Running Wolf’s Rant. This section in the Facts category of the blog has not been updated in a while. It might be updated more frequently so watch this space. The photo on this post is of the Iguassu Falls on the Argentinian and Brazilian border in South America.
Here are 10 facts about Argentina:
- Argentina is the second largest country in South America and the 8th largest country in the world (by land mass). It’s also the world’s largest Spanish speaking country.
- Argentina has a population of roughly 40 million people (about 10 million less than South Africa).
- Argentina declared independence from Spain in 1816 (after a war for independence which lasted almost 6 years).
- Cristina Fernández de Kirchner is the current president of Argentina. She has been in office since 2007 when she took over Néstor Kirchner.
- Buenos Aires in the capital and largest city of Argentina. The city was established in 1536. Today Buenos Aires has an estimated population of 3 million. Argentina has two other cities with a population of more than 1 million people, Córdoba and Rosario.
- Argentina have hosted and won the FIFA World Cup in 1978 (for the first time). The nation also won the FIFA World Cup in 1986 when they beat West Germany in the final in Mexico. They were knocked out by Germany in the quarter finals of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa though.
- There are more than 230,000 km of roads and more than 34,000 km railroad track in Argentina.
- As per the law, the President and Vice President of Argentina should be Roman Catholic (the official religion of Argentina).
- Mount Aconcagua of Argentina is the tallest mountain in the whole of South America.
- Pato is the official national sport of Argentina. It is a combination of polo and basketball.
There you have it, 10 facts about Argentina. You might also want to check out Yesica Toscanini, Yamila Diaz-Rahi, Valeria Mazza, Lujan Fernandez, Luisana Lopilato and Jessica Cirio (all born in Argentina) in the Babes category of Running Wolf’s Rant. Daily updates are posted in the Babes and Photography categories as well as regular updates in the Technology, Movies, Music and Opinion categories on this blog. Feel free to comment on any post that you might find interesting. Also feel free to share anything you might find interesting on here with your friends.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Jack Parow & Jitsvinger stel “Dis Bef*k” Remix vry - December 1, 2016
- Win a Pixies, The Temper Trap etc. CD Hamper! - November 30, 2016
- Francois Van Coke gee ‘n huldeblyk aan Fokofpolisiekar - November 30, 2016