Berlin is the capital of Germany and one of the oldest cities in Europe. I’ve never visited the country but I would like to one day. Germany hosted the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The country has also qualified for the 2010 FIFA World Cup tournament in South Africa. Berlin has been selected as the 10 facts topics for today on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Here are some facts about Berlin:
- The earliest evidence of settlements in today’s Berlin central areas is a wooden beam dated from approximately 1192.
- Berlin is Germany’s largest city with a population of 3.4 million. The Berlin metropolitan area has a population of 5 million. It’s the second most populous city and the 8th most populous urban area in the European Union.
- The Berliner Fernsehturm is the highest structure in Berlin. It’s 368 meters (1207 feet) high and has an observation platform at 203 meters.
- The Nikolaikirche (a church building) is one of the oldest buildings in Berlin and dates back to the 13th / 14th century.
- The Berlin Wall was built by East Germany in 1961 and existed till it was completely demolished in 1989. More than 5,000 people tried crossing over the Berlin Wall from East Berlin to the West Berlin in this period.
- Construction on the world famous Brandenburg Gate was completed in 1791. This structure functioned as a border post between East and West Germany when Germany was still divided.
- The Siegessaule (Victory Column) is a major tourist attraction in Berlin. The bronze statue of Victoria on this structure was designed by Friederich Drake and is 8.3m high. The monument was built between 1864 and 1873 and designed by Heinrich Strack.
- The original Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin was built in the 1890s. It was damaged badly during a bombing raid in World War 2 in 1943. The church was restored between 1959 and 1963.
- More than 7.5 million tourists visited Berlin in 2007.
- Berlin has 170 museums that can be visited by visitors.
If I’ve left out anything please comment on this post. Watch this space for more 10 facts posts.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- First batch of artists announced for Oppikoppi 2015 - May 1, 2015
- Brace yourself for the Blood Brothers tour - April 30, 2015
- 2015 South African George Ezra Tour dates confirmed - April 25, 2015