10 Facts: Blink 182
Today Tuks FM is featuring Blink 182 for their band of the day for Rocktober. I remember being introduced to this band’s music back in 1999 when they released their Enema of the State album. Their singles off the album, What’s My Age Again?, All The Small Things and Adam’s Song was stuck in my head for most of that year, thanks to extensive airplay on SA’s radio stations. Stay together for the kids is definitely my favorite song by them, no question about that. Blink 182 got together in 2009 after a period of “indefinite hiatius”. They released their latest studio album Neighborhoods earlier in 2011. I must admit that I thought that Blink 182 would not last forever, but they have proved me wrong, and seem to back and stronger than ever before.
Here are 10 facts about Blink 182:
- Blink 182 are pop punk / punk rock band and were formed in 1992 in Poway, California in the United States.
- The current members of the band are Mark Hoppus, Tom DeLonge and Travis Barker. The only former member of the band is Scott Raynor (who played drums for the band on their 1994 and 1997 albums).
- Then band has had the most success at the Teen Choice Awards (winning three awards: Choice Rock Group in 2000, Best Rock Group in 2001 and Choice Love Song in 2004 for the song I Miss You).
- All the Small Things received three nominations from the MTV Video Music Awards in 2000 for Video of the Year, Best Pop Video and Best Group Video, which it won.
- Blink 182 have particularly been cited for their influence on contemporary pop punk music. MTV News has declared “Without them, there’d be no Fall Out Boy, no Paramore, or no Fueled by Ramen Records.”
- Adam’s Song is about a letter that Mark read from a kid before he commited suicide. Then he got the idea for the song.
- Before “Blink 182” and even before “Blink,” the original name for the band was “Duct Tape”. They changed the name since there was an Irish Pop band called Blink too.
- Blink 182 received $500,000 for their music video for “The Rock Show”.
- Travis started his own clothing company called Famous Stars and Straps, and Mark started his own clothing company called Atticus along with Tom. Tom also made his own company called Macbeth shoes.
- Their first concert took place at a bar. Since they were underage, they were only allowed to enter when it was time for their set. No one came to see them and after only one song Blink was shut off. After the show, a man came up to Tom, bought him a Snapple and said, “You deserve it.”
There you have it, 10 facts about Blink 182. I must say that they’ve actually come a long way and have some form of new found respect for them. If you have other facts about this band, please comment on this post. Feedback is appreciated and welcome.
This is the music video for their song The Rock Show:
Feel free to share this post with your friends if you’ve found it interesting. Watch this space for regular updates in the Facts category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Jack Parow & Jitsvinger stel “Dis Bef*k” Remix vry - December 1, 2016
- Win a Pixies, The Temper Trap etc. CD Hamper! - November 30, 2016
- Francois Van Coke gee ‘n huldeblyk aan Fokofpolisiekar - November 30, 2016