10 Facts: Botswana
Botswana is one of South Africa’s neighboring countries. I’ve never visited this country, but I would love to one. Botswana is also bordered by Zimbabwe, Zambia (at a single point) and Namibia. Botswana has been selected as the 10 facts topic for today on Running Wolf’s Rant. Watch this space for regular facts, movies, music and other updates.
Here are some facts about Botswana:
- Botswana gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1966 and was formerly known as Bechuanaland.
- Gaborone is the capital city of Botswana and was founded in 1964. Today the city has a population of about 190,000.
- 70% of Botswana’s land is covered by the Kalahari desert.
- The former seat of government for Bechuanaland was Mafikeng (in the North West Province of South Africa).
- Botswana has a population of roughly 2 million people.
- The country’s monetary unit is the Pula. The currency was implemented in 1976 (replacing the South African Rand) and is one of the strongest currencies in Africa.
- Seretse Khama was the first elected president of Botswana. He was re-elected twice into the position. Ian Khama is the current president of Botswana (since April 2008).
- The Okavango Delta in Botswana is the world’s largest inland delta. Each year approximately 11 cubic kilometers of water irrigate the 15,000 square kilometer area. The delta is formed where the Okavango River empties onto a swamp in an endorheic basin in the Kalahari Desert.
- The Central Kalahari Game Reserve was established in 1961 in Botswana and covers an area of 52,800 square kilometers (making it the second largest game reserve in the world).
- The highest point in Botswana is at the Tsodilo Hills at 1,489 meters.
Watch this space for facts updates about countries and cities. Feel free to comment on this post if I’ve left anything important out. Running Wolf’s Rant is regularly updated.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Jack Parow & Jitsvinger stel “Dis Bef*k” Remix vry - December 1, 2016
- Win a Pixies, The Temper Trap etc. CD Hamper! - November 30, 2016
- Francois Van Coke gee ‘n huldeblyk aan Fokofpolisiekar - November 30, 2016