10 Facts: Chile
This South American country is bordered by Argentina to the East, Bolivia to the North East and Peru to the North. Chile is only one 2 countries on the South American continent that are not bordered by Brazil. Chile played in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa and were knocked out of the tournament. There’s much more to Chile than just football though. This country has been selected as the 10 facts topic for today on Running Wolf’s Rant. If I’ve left out anything important, please comment on this post.
Here are 10 facts about Chile:
- Chile declared independence from Spain in 1818 but was only recognized as a country in 1844.
- Spanish is the only Chilean official language.
- An estimated 17 million people live in Chile today.
- Although Ferdinand Magellan passed by Chile in 1520 the conquest of the region only started in 1540 by the Spanish.
- Sebastián Piñera is the current president of Chile. He took over from Michelle Bachelet (who was in office from 2006) in March 2010.
- Chile’s coastline stretches 2,700 miles long, running from the Atacama (the world’s most arid desert) in the North, through forests, valleys, mountains, lakes, glacier fields, the Tierra del Fuego and the Antarctic Circle in the South. Chile is never more than 110 miles wide East to West.
- There are more than 2,000 volcanoes in Chile, of which 50 are actually active.
- David Selkirk, immortalized as Robinson Crusoe, survived a shipwreck and lived for several years on a desert island off the coast of Chile, no doubt thriving on the nutritional benefits of fresh fruit.
- Santiago is Chile’s capital and also the largest city in the country with an estimated population of 5.2 million people. Santiago was founded in 1541 by the Spanish.
- The highest point in Chile is Ojos del Salado in the Atacama Region, 6,893 meters (22,614 feet).
Posts have been done before featuring the Santiago skyline, NCIS actress Cote De Pablo and model Leonor Verela (who were both born in Chile). I would not mind visiting Chile one day. Watch this space for regular updates in the Facts, Technology, Music and Movies categories as well as daily updates in the Babes and Photography categories. Feel free to comment on any post that you might find interesting.