Today Tuks FM is dedicating the day to Foo Fighters for Rocktober. This band is definitely one of my favorite bands of all time. It’s one of the bands that I wanna see live before I kick the bucket. They have not been to South Africa yet but I’m hearing little birdies whispering that they will be making their way here in 2012 sometime (nothing official yet though). I started listening to Foo Fighters in 1994/5. I still remember hearing This is a Call for the first time on Barney Simon’s show on Radio 5 (the station now known as 5FM). There have been so many great Foo Fighters songs over the years: Times Like These, The Pretender, February Stars, Learning to Fly, My Hero, Walking After You and various others. There is also no doubt in my mind that Wasting Light (which was released by the band earlier in 2011) is the best rock album of the year. These Days is probably my favorite song off this album.
Here are 10 facts about Foo Fighters:
- Foo Fighters were formed in 1994 in the United States after the death of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain.
- The current members of the band are Dave Grohl (ex drummer of Nirvana and Scream), Nate Mendel, Taylor Hawkins, Chris Shiflett and Pat Smear (who used to be a touring guitarist for Nirvana during their In Utero tour and a member of The Germs).
- Former members of Foo Fighters are William Goldsmith (who used to be a drummer for the band and for Sunny Day Real Estate) and Franz Stahl (who was in the band Scream with Dave Grohl).
- Over the course of the band’s career, 3 of their albums have won Grammy Awards for Best Rock Album, and all 6 albums they have released have been nominated.
- The band was named after a World War II secret force that allegedly researched UFOs.
- Dave Grohl played all instruments on the Foo Fighters’ self titled debut album.
- Dave Grohl is heavily influenced by John Bonham of Led Zepplin and has Bonham’s three rings symbol tattooed on his wrist.
- A picture of Dave Grohl’s tattoo on the back of his neck that includes “FF” was used for the cover of the Foo Fighters’ album There Is Nothing Left to Lose.
- Dave Grohl has had various side projects other than the Foo Fighters. He has recorded and played played drums with numerous bands including Buzz Osbornes, Queens of the Stone Age, Tenacious D, Nine Inch Nails, The Prodigy and Slash. And he was a key member of Them Crooked Vultures, a supergroup that also included Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones and Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme.
- In a recent interview with the Daily Star, Dave Grohl revealed the new Foo Fighters’ new album ‘Wasting Light’ was inspired by ABBA and The Bee Gees.
There you have it, 10 facts about Foo Fighters. If you have anything you wanna add to this list of facts, please comment on this post. Feedback is appreciated and welcome here.
This is a video featuring a live performance of the Foo Fighters song These Days
If you’ve found this post interesting, feel free to share it with you friends. Also feel free to check out the posts in the Facts and Music categories of Running Wolf’s Rant.