Today’s topic for the 10 facts section on this blog is Johannesburg. This South African city is one of the host cities for the 2010 FIFA World Cup which kicks off on the 11th of June this year in South Africa. Coca Cola Park and the newly built Soccer City stadium will be used as venues for the event. The photo on this post is of the Johannesburg CBD skyline.
Here are 10 other facts about Johannesburg:
- Johannesburg is one of the 40 largest metropolitan areas of the world and the largest city in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa with a population of +/- 3.9 million.
- Johannesburg has been rebuilt four times in the span of one century. First, it was a tented camp, then a town of tin shanties, then of four-storey Edwardian brick buildings and finally, a city of modern skyscrapers.
- 40% of the world’s gold is found in the greater Johannesburg region. No wonder Johannesburg is also referred to as ‘Egoli’ (meaning the ‘Place of Gold’).
- 40% percent of all the world’s human ancestor fossils have been discovered in and around Johannesburg.
- Johannesburg is laced with over 10 million trees, and therefore is also known as the largest man made forest in the world.
- Johannesburg is one of the youngest major cities worldwide. Johannesburg is 118 years old, and was founded on October 4, 1886
- Johannesburg houses the tallest office block in Africa, which is called the Carlton Centre (50 stories) and the tallest tower being the Hillbrow Tower (270 metres, or 90 stories).
- The average travel time in Johannesburg for commuters is 48 minutes (although some locals will disagree with this).
- Johannesburg houses the only two polar bears in Africa, at the Johannesburg Zoo.
- There are 4 443 hectares of open veld, 1,616 parks, 24,6 hectares of bird sanctuaries, 107 km of nature trails and 80 hectares of botanical gardens in Johannesburg.
Watch this space for 10 facts posts. Hope you’ve found this interesting. Feel free to comment on this post.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- 5 stories that will get you amped for Oppikoppi 2015 - July 30, 2015
- 10 Random Funnies to improve your mood - July 30, 2015
- Full Oppikoppi 2015 line-up and performance times announced - July 28, 2015