10 Facts: Klerksdorp
Klerksdorp is one of the biggest cities in the North West Province of South Africa. I’ve never visited this city. Klerksdorp is situated 169 km from Johannesburg. Today’s 10 facts topic is Klerksdorp. Watch this space for daily updates in the Babes and Photography categories and regular updates in the Facts, Technology, Music and Movies categories.
Here are some facts about Klerksdorp:
- Klerksdorp was founded in 1837 and is one of the oldest European settlements in the old Transvaal province of South Africa.
- Klerksdorp is named after Jacob de Clerq (a magistrate in the area).
- Today more than 350,000 people live in the Klerksdorp area (which incorporates Stilfontein, Orkney, Khuma, Hartbeesfontein and Tigane)
- In 1886 gold was discovered in the district by M.G. Jansen van Vuuren. Thousands of fortune seekers flocked to the area, but moved away in the late 1890s. The nature of the gold required sophisticated and equipment to be mined.
- During the 2nd Boer War (between 1899-1902) the battle for Ysterspruit and the Battle of Rooiwal took place in the area.
- A concentration camp was built in the area by the British in the same period to house Boer women and children.
- Klerksdorp was connected by rail to Johannesburg in 1897 and to Kimberley in 1906.
- Markotter stadium situated between Klerksdorp and Vaal Reefs is a popular sports field for some of the bigger schools’ athletics competitions. The stadium was originally considered as one of the host cities for the 2010 FIFA World Cup but lost its bid to the Royal Bafokeng Stadium near Rustenburg.
- Klerksdorp spheres have been collected in the area. They are small objects, often spherical to disc-shaped that have been collected by miners and rockhounds from 3-billion-year-old pyrophyllite deposits mined by Wonderstone Ltd near Ottosdal.
- Klerksdorp has the largest agricultural company in the Southern hemisphere, Senwes.
Watch this space for regular updates in the 10 facts section and the Facts category of Running Wolf’s Rant. If I’ve left out anything important about Klerksdorp, please comment on this post.