10 Facts: Marilyn Manson
Today is Marilyn Manson day on Tuks FM (yes, Rocktober is still in full swing). These American rocker have been tearing up eardrums for a while now. I still remember when Sweet Dreams was released in 1995. It was one of the loudest songs I had heard at the time and it instantly became one of my favorite songs at the time. I must admit that I’m not the biggest Marilyn Manson fan though. Call them controversial if you want, but they have been quite thought provoking sometimes. The lead singer (Marilyn Manson) has made statements like “Find out what’s really out there. I never said to be like me, I say be like you and make a difference.”, “This is the culture you’re raising your kids in. Don’t be surprised if it blows up in your face.” and “When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.”. Like I said, quite thought provoking and almost insightful.
Here are 10 facts about Marilyn Manson:
- The lead singer, Marilyn Manson, was born in 1969 in Ohio in the United States as Brian Hugh Warner.
- Marilyn Manson were formed in 1989 by Brian Hugh Warner and Scott Putesky in Fort Lauberdale, Florida in the United States.
- The current members of Marilyn Manson are Marilyn Manson, Twiggy Ramirez, Fred Sablan and Chris Vrenna.
- Former members of the band include Ginger Fish, Andy Gerold, Wes Borland (of Limp Bizkit fame), Rob Holliday, Tim Skold, Madonna Wayne Gacy, John 5, Zim Zum, Daisy Berkowitz. Sara Lee Lucas, Gidget Gein, Olivia Newton Bundy and Zsa Zsa Speck.
- Marilyn Manson was originally called Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids.
- Marilyn Manson (the lead singer) has more than 450 scars on his body.
- Following the Columbine High School massacre (in 1999) there were accusations that killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were influenced by Marilyn Manson’s music. Later, evidence was presented that neither of them were fans of the band and many were led to criticize the media for using the band as a scapegoat instead of analyzing the underlying societal problems surrounding the incident. In the film Bowling for Columbine Marilyn Manson said “I wouldn’t say a single word to them; I would listen to what they have to say, and that’s what no one did” when asked what he would say to the 2 killers.
- Marilyn Manson has sold over 50 million albums worldwide.
- Most members of the band get their first name from a model actress and last from a famous killer. The first member that broke away from the Model/Serial Killer band name pattern was guitarist Daisy Berkowitz’s replacement, Zim Zum, who in turn was replaced in 1998 by John 5.
- Marilyn Manson has been nominated for 3 Grammy Awards for “The Dope Show” for Best Hard Rock Performance (in 1999), “Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes” for Best Metal Performance (in 2001) and “mOBSCENE” for Best Metal Performance (in 2004).
There you have it, 10 facts about Marilyn Manson. If you have anything that you can add to this list of facts, please comment on this post. Feedback is appreciated and welcome.
For those of you who don’t know what Marilyn Manson sounds like, this is the music video for their song “Disposable Teens” (this might not be for the faint at heart, just a warning).
Feel free to check out the other posts on Running Wolf’s Rant in the Music and Facts categories. Feel free to share anything you find interesting with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.