Rocktober is upon us, and my favorite local radio station is the only station in South Africa that I know of that has acknowledged this. Tuks FM will be featuring a band a day this month to pay tribute to some of the best rock bands that have roamed the earth over the years. Today was Metallica Day on Tuks FM. I must admit that I’m not a huge Metallica fan, but one has to admire them for what they’ve accomplished in the music industry. They’re one of the most popular bands in the world. Tuks FM’s Rocktober has inspired me to selected Metallica as today’s 10 facts topic on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Here are 10 facts about Metallica:
- Metallica was formed in 1981 in Los Angeles, California in the United States.
- The band was formed when Kirk Hammett responded to an advert that drummer Lars Ulrich had placed in his local newspaper.
- To date Metallica has released 9 studio albums, 3 live albums, 5 extended plays, 24 music videos & 45 singles.
- Metallica’s first studio album, Kill’em All, was released in 1983.
- Metallica has won 9 Grammy Awards over the years.
- Five consecutive Metallica albums have made their debut in the Billboard Top 200 chart.
- Metallica (released in 1991 and commonly referred to as “the Black album”) is probably the most successful and popular album released by Metallica. To date the album has sold 15 million copies in the United States and 22 million copies worldwide.
- The current members of the band are James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo.
- Former members of the band include Ron McGovney , Dave Mustaine (who left the band and started Megadeth in 1983), Cliff Burton (who died when the Metallica’s tour bus over-turned in rural Southern Sweden) and Jason Newsted (who left Metallica in 2001).
- My favorite song by Metallica, Whiskey in the Jar, was not originally written by them. The song was an original Irish folk song and it was first recorded in 1951 by Seamus Ennis (from Ireland). The 2nd most popular version of the song was recorded by Thin Lizzy in 1972.
There you have it, 10 facts about Metallica. Check out their official website at http://www.metallica.com/.
If you have been living under a rock for the past 20 years you might not know what Metallica sounds like, this is the music video for their song, Whiskey in the Jar
Feel free to comment on this post if you know of another interesting fact about Metallica. Feedback is appreciated and welcome. Also feel free to check out the other posts in the Facts category of Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Some Geeky Stuff to embrace your Inner Geek - March 10, 2014
- Photo Album: Biffy Clyro @ RAMFest 2014 Johannesburg - March 10, 2014
- 15 Random Funnies to kick-start your week - March 10, 2014