Rocktober is still in full swing, today is Nirvana day on Tuks FM. This grunge band that was active in the mid 1990s is practically the reason why I started to listen to Rock music. I was Nirvana fan before Kurt Cobain died in 1994. I still remember the wave of instant Nirvana fans that came along when their MTV Unplugged in New York album was released. I also remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit for the first time. Their Nevermind album was absolutely phenomenal. They are definitely one of the most influencial bands in the history of Rock music. Their Nevermind album sold 1 million copies in the first 6 weeks that it was released. It’s sad that lead singer Kurt Cobain was taken before his time. It would’ve been interesting to see what material the band would be releasing if they were still around. Today’s 10 facts topic is Nirvana, because I say so.
Here are 10 facts about Nirvana:
- Nirvana was formed in 1987 in Aberdeen, Washington in the United States
- When the band started, it went through a series of names: starting with Skid Row and including Pen Cap Chew, Bliss, and Ted Ed Fred. Eventually they settled on Nirvana. Kurt Cobain “wanted a name that was kind of beautiful or nice and pretty instead of a mean, raunchy punk rock name like the Angry Samoans”.
- When Dave Grohl (of Foo Fighters fame) joined the band in 1990 he was the 5th drummer to do so.
- Pat Smear (famous for playing in The Germs and Foo Fighters) was the touring guitarist for the band on their final tour in 1993/1994.
- Kurt Cobain, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl were the 3 members of the band from 1990-1994. Before 1990 Aaron Burckhard, Dale Crover, Dave Foster, Chad Channing, Jason Everman and Dan Peters were members of the band.
- On the 8th of April 1994 Kurt Cobain’s body was discovered at his home in Lake Washington. He had committed suicide with a shotgun. The coroner estimated that he had died on the 5th of April 1994. In his suicide note he address his imaginary friend ‘Boodah’, it said “I haven’t felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music, along with really writing . . . for too many years now”.
- Since their debut in 1987, Nirvana have sold 50 million records worldwide (25 million in the United States alone).
- Their album Nevermind (which was released 20 years ago) has sold more than 30 million copies.
- MTV Unplugged in New York made its debut at number one on the Billboard charts when it was released in November 1994. In 1995 the album won a Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album.
- Kurt Cobain usually wrote lyrics for Nirvana’s songs minutes before recording them. He said “When I write a song the lyrics are the least important subject. I can go through two or three different subjects in a song and the title can mean absolutely nothing at all.”