10 Facts: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rocktober is till in full swing and today is Red Hot Chili Peppers Day on Tuks FM. Red Hot Chili Peppers are definitely one of my favorite rock bands. I was first introduced to their music in 1996, when I moved to Pretoria to study at Technikon Pretoria (now called the Tshwane University of Technology). Songs like My Friends, Aeroplane, Give it Away and Under the Bridge were receiving extended airplay on Tuks FM back then. I was instantly almost instantly hooked. Since then songs like Californication, Scar Tissue, Otherside, Road Trippin’, By the way, Can’t Stop and most recently The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie have forever etched themselves onto parts of my musical soul. I’m very glad that Red Hot Chili Peppers released a new album in August 2011, my musical sound had been aching for some fresh tunes by them. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been selected as the 10 Facts topic for today on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Here are 10 facts about the Red Hot Chili Peppers:
- Red Hot Chili Peppers were founded in 1983 in Los Angeles, California in the United States.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers have won 7 Grammy Awards over the years.
- The band has sold over 70 million albums worldwide. Their breakthrough 1991 album Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik has sold 13 million copies alone and their 1999 album Californication sold 15 million copies alone.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers have charted nine singles in the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 (including 3 in the Top 10), 6 number one singles on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and the band also currently holds the record for most number one singles on the Alternative Songs chart at 12.
- The current members of Red Hot Chili Peppers are Flea (born as Michael Peter Balzary), Anthony Kiedis, Chad Smith and Josh Klinghoffer.
- Former members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers include Hillel Slovak (who died of a heroin overdose in 1988), Jack Irons (who is also a former drummer for Pearl Jam), Cliff Martinez, Jack Sherman, DeWayne, McKnight, D.H. Peligro (a former drummer for the Dead Kennedys), Arik Marshall (who is also a guitarist for Macy Gray), Jesse Tobias (who has also played guitar for Alanis Morissette and Morrissey), Dave Navarro and John Frusciante.
- Anthony Kiedis was born to actor Blackie Dammett and had some early acting roles in F.I.S.T. (1978) and Jokes My Folks Never Told Me (1978). You may not have recognized him because he was billed as Cole Dammett. His mother is part Apache Indian.
- Flea has had an acting career. His resume includes: The Big Lebowski (as Nihilist), Back to the Future, Part II and Part III (as Douglas J. Needles), My Own Private Idaho (as Budd), Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (as The Ruined Man). He is also the voice of Donnie on movie and TV series The Wild Thornberrys.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ first name, with their original lineup, was Tony Flow and the Miraculously Majestic Masters of Mayhem.
- The Red Hot Chili Peppers were famous in the early days for appearing on stage naked except for sports socks over their genitals.
There you have it, 10 facts about the Red Hot Chili Peppers. If you have another fact that you want to add to this list, please comment on this post, feedback is appreciated and welcome.
For those of you who might not be familiar with the band, this is the music video for their song My Friends (One of my favorite songs by the band):
Watch this space for regular updates in the Facts category on Running Wolf’s Rant. Feel free to share this post with your friends if you found it interesting.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Jack Parow & Jitsvinger stel “Dis Bef*k” Remix vry - December 1, 2016
- Win a Pixies, The Temper Trap etc. CD Hamper! - November 30, 2016
- Francois Van Coke gee ‘n huldeblyk aan Fokofpolisiekar - November 30, 2016