10 Facts: Slipknot
Today is Slipknot day on Tuks FM. Yes, Rocktober is in its fourth and final week. I am not a huge fan of Slipknot, but I can simply not ignore the influence this band has on the Rock and Metal scene. I have however become a huge fan of their songs Psycho Social and Wait and Bleed. Their style is a little too aggressive for my liking, but I still respect them as a band. I was only exposed to their music in the late 1990s (thanks to my brother playing me Wait and Bleed).
Here are 10 facts about Slipknot:
- Slipknot were formed in 1995 in Ohio in the United States.
- Joey Jordison, Sid Wilson, Chris Fehn, Jim Root, Craig Jones, Shawn Crahan, Mick Thomson and Corey Taylor are the current members of Slipknot.
- Former members of Slipknot include Anders Colsefni, Donnie Steele, Greg Welts, Josh Brainard and Paul Gray (who passed away in 2010).
- Before embarking on Ozzfest 99 frontman Corey Taylor blew out his vocal chords and was forbidden to speak for more than half an hour a day. He used up his half an hour on stage and carried a pen and paper for the whole tour.
- Corey Taylor is also the lead vocalist for Stonesour.
- Slipknot’s debut single Wait And Bleed was voted 36th greatest metal song of all time by VH1.
- Slipknot has been nominated for seven Grammy Awards, resulting in one win (for their 2006 release “Before I Forget”).
- In 2008, vocalist Taylor commented on a stabbing in South Africa that Slipknot were linked to, saying: “obviously, I’m disturbed by the fact that people were hurt and someone died, as far as my responsibility for that goes, it stops there, because I know our message is actually very positive.” He also furthered his point by saying: “there are always going to be mental disorders and people who cause violence for no other reason than the fact that they’re fucked up and lost.”
- Slipknot have released 4 albums since 1999.
- Corey Taylor used to work in a porn shop before joining Slipknot.
There you have it, 10 facts about Slipknot. If you have something to add to this list, please comment on this post. Feedback is appreciated and welcome.
This is a live version of Slipknot’s song Wait and Bleed (recorded at Rock Am Ring in Germany in 2009):
Feel free to check out the other posts in the Music and Facts categories on Running Wolf’s Rant. Feel free to share anything you find here with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Pixies to tour South Africa in March 2017! - October 24, 2016
- TesseracT to tour South Africa in April 2017 - October 24, 2016
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 teaser trailer released - October 19, 2016