10 Facts: System of a Down
Rocktober is still on like Donkey Kong. Today is System of a Down day on Tuks FM. I was first made aware of this alternative metal / progressive rock / hard rock / experimental rock band in the late 1990s. Since then I’ve become quite a fan of these rockers (their 2001 album Toxicity played a huge roll in achieving that). My favorite songs by System of a Down are Sugar, Toxicity, Chop Suey, B.Y.O.B., Aerials and Hypnotize. It would be awesome to experience them live. I hope they decide to come to South Africa in 2012. The band went into a state of hiatus in 2006, but have regrouped in 2011. They’ve played various live and festivals shows this year.
Here are 10 facts about System of a Down:
- System of a Down were formed in 1994 in Southern California in the United States.
- The current members of the band are Daron Malakian, Serj Tankian, Shavo Odadjian and John Dolmayan. All four members are of Armenian descent.
- The only former member of the band is Ontronik “Andy” Khachaturian (who left the band in 1997 and went on to be the lead vocalist of The Aphex Theory from 1999 to 2002). He is of Iranian decent.
- The band have released 5 albums since their formation: System of a Down (1998), Toxicity (2001), Steal This Album! (2002), Mezmerize (2005) and Hypnotize (2005).
- System of a Down’s breakthrough album, Toxicity has sold more than 12 million copies since it was released in 2001.
- The music video for their song Boom! was created during a worldwide anti-war protest. System of a Down roamed the streets of New York City to make this video and it was directed by Michael Moore (the film maker who brought us Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11).
- System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian grew up in Armenia but was born in Lebanon.
- Their song Chop Suey was removed from radio around the time of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States because of the controversial line “I don’t think you trust in my self righteous suicide”.
- The name System of a Down comes from a poem Daron wrote named “Victims of a Down”
- System of a Down has been nominated for 4 Grammy Awards over the years. They won the award in 2006 for Best Hard Rock Performance for the song B.Y.O.B.
There you have it, 10 facts about System of a Down. If you have something to add to this post, please comment. Feedback is appreciated and welcome. Feel free to share this post with your friends.
For those of you who might not be familiar with System of a Down’s sound, this is a live version of their song Chop Suey (recorded at Rock AM Ring this year in Germany)
Check out the other posts in the Facts and Music categories on Running Wolf’s Rant, you might find them interesting. Feel free to share anything you find interesting with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.