10 Facts: Welkom
Today’s 10 fact topic is the city of Welkom in the Free State province of South Africa. The city is situated 160 km North East of Bloemfontein. I have never visited Welkom in my entire life. I don’t know much about the city. If I’ve left out any important facts about Welkom, please comment on this post.
Here are 10 facts about Welkom:
- Welkom is South Africa’s youngest town and has been the centre of the gold fields since 1947.
- The town sprung up after gold was discovered on a farm called St Helena.
- Welkom is the 2nd biggest city in the Free State. Welkom has grown perhaps with a faster rate as Johannesburg and today more than 400,000 people call Welkom their home.
- The word welkom is Afrikaans and Dutch for welcome.
- Welkom’s system of traffic circles were so well designed that are still only a few traffic lights in the city, despite its size.
- Welkom has many monuments including, Aandek Monument, Afrikaans Language Monument, Joanne Pim Monument, WWII Monument, Voortrekker Memorial, Dog Monument, Old Indaba bleugum tree and MOTH Memorial.
- Phakisa Raceway on the edge of the city is South Africa’s newest racetrack. The racetrack consists of both a high speed oval and a well designed conventional track and is known internationally as a Grand Prix racetrack.
- Mark Shuttleworth (entrepeneur and the first African in space), Jannie de Beer (Springbok rugby player), CJ van der Linde (Springbok rugby player), Wynand Olivier (Bulls and Springbok rugby player) and Brian McMillan (South African cricketer) were born in Welkom.
- Welkom’s best thespians and ballet dancers grace the modern Ernest Oppenheimer Theatre complex. Named after the businessman who planned the layout of Welkom.
- Welkom is served by a small airport and a branch of the main railway between Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Watch this space for 10 facts posts. Hope you find this interesting.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 teaser trailer released - October 19, 2016
- Henry Rollins Interview (Video) - October 19, 2016
- Photo Album: Jack Parow @ Aandklas Hatfield - October 18, 2016