I was born in 1977, so I don’t have a recollection of the year 1975. This year has been selected as the 20 Facts topic for today. It’s hard to believe that this year in history occurred 35 years ago already. I hope the facts laid out on this post are the most notable events of 1975. If you were alive back then and wish to add something, please comment on this post. The photo on this post features a cover of People magazine from 1975. You might recognize Candice Bergen on the cover. She has since gained fame for her role in Murphy Brown and recently in Boston Legal.
Here are 20 facts about 1975:
- South Africa lost its membership of the World Meteorological Organization in 1975 due to its racial policies. Nicholaas Johannes Diederichs became the 4th state president of South Africa in the same year. The South Africa Defence Force invaded Angola in Operation Savannah in 1975. Bram Fischer (former SA Communist Party leader) died in this year whilst under house arrest in Bloemfontein.
- Bruce Jacobs (South African Field hockey player), Magdalena Wrobel (Model), Niki Taylor (Model), Bradley Cooper (Actor), Moon Bloodgood (Actress), Charlize Theron (Actress), Drew Barrymore (Actress), Natalie Imbruglia (Musician), KaDee Strickland (Actress), Tara Reid (Actress), Milla Jovovich (Actress & Model), Nikki Visser (Model), Elena Anaya (Actress), Eva Langoria (Actress), Jolene Blalock (Science Fiction Actress), David Beckham (Football player), Melany B (Scary Spice), Angelina Jolie (Actress), Zach Braff (Actor), Russell Brand (Comedian), 50 Cent (Rapper), Kate Winslet (Actress), Daniel Tosh (Comedian), Travis Barker (Blink 182 drummer), Jaime Bergman (Model), André 3000 (Musician) and Lauryn Hill (Musician) were all born in 1975.
- The Boomtown Rats and Iron Maiden were formed in 1975. Stealer’s Wheel disbanded in the same year.
- The Altair 8800 was released in 1975, sparking the era of the microcomputer.
- Portugal granted Angola, Mozambique and Cape Verde independence in 1975. East Timor (former Portugeuse Timor) and Sao Tome and Principe declared independence from Portugal in the same year. The Comoros declared independence from France in 1975. Suriname (in South America) gained independence from the Netherlands and Papa New Guinea gained independence from Australia in 1975. Tuvalu gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1975.
- Charlie Chaplin was knighted by Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom in 1975.
- Bill Gates founded Microsoft in Albuquerque, New Mexico in the United States in 1975.
- Teamsters Union president Jimmy Hoffa was reported missing in 1975.
- Motorola obtained the patent for the first portable mobile phone in 1975.
- BIC launched the first disposable Razor in 1975,
- Sony introduced Betamax videotapes and Matsushita / JVC introduced VHS videotapes in 1975.
- Saturday Night Live made its debut on NBC in 1975. Comedian George Carlin was the first host of the popular program.
- The United Nations General Assembly approved a resolution equating Zionism with racism in 1975. The resolution provoked an outcry among Jews around the world.
- The Irish Republican Army (IRA) was outlawed in the United Kingdom in 1975.
- Six people, including Carlos (the Jackal) kidnapped delegates of an OPEC conference in Vienna, Austria in 1975.
- Jaws, Dog Day Afternoon, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Barry Lyndon was released in 1975.
- King Faisal of Saudi Arabia was shot and killed by his mentally ill nephew in 1975.
- Junko Tabei became the first woman in history to reach the summit of Mount Everest in 1975.
- Chinese archeologists discovered a large burial site with 6,000 clay statutes of warriors from 221 BC in 1975.
- NASA launched the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars in 1975.
If I’ve left out anything important about 1975 on this post, please comment on this post. Running Wolf’s Rant is updated daily in the Babes and Photography categories. The Facts, Technology, Conspiracy Theories, Movies, Music and Opinion categories are updated regularly as well, so watch this space. You might also consider becoming a fan of Running Wolf’s Rant on Facebook for daily updates.