20 Random Interesting Facts (from @Uberfacts)
We live in an interesting world. Even in 2011, there is no doubt about that. One is never too old to learn. The human mind is a sponge (I am sure many of you reading this post agree will agree with this statement). I discovered a very interesting Twitter account the other day: @Uberfacts.
This profile tweets random and interesting facts constantly. And with 150,000+ followers Uberfacts seems to be a hit with Twitter users. Some of you will argue that Twitter is still an useless social network but reading these 20 random interesting facts will probably make you think twice before you call it that.
Here are 20 random interesting facts (courtesy of @Uberfacts)
- Sex burns about 70-120 calories for a 130 pound (58 kg) woman, and 77 to 155 calories for a 170 pound (77 kg) man every hour.
- In one day, the average person will take about 18,000 steps.
- 9 out of every 10 living things are found in the ocean.
- The word “condom” comes from Dr. Charles Condom (1630-1685)
- Carrots used to be purple, not orange.
- On average, people spend more than five years of their lives dreaming.
- The most shoplifted book of all time is the Bible.
- When you French Kiss someone for a minute, you both burn about 2.6 calories.
- According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.
- It is illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket in Kentucky.
- Colgate faced big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries – Colgate translates into the command ‘go hang yourself.’
- The longest English word, at 45 letters, is ‘pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’.
- In the Republic of Panama, prostitutes can’t work on Good Friday or Election Day.
- The fattest man ever weighed 1,400 pounds (635 kg).
- Scientists believe that the reason humans have pubic hair is to trap pheromones.
- Mrs.’ is actually an abbreviation for the word ‘mistress.
- A flood of beer in 1814 killed 9 people.
- Marilyn Monroe’s IQ (168) was higher than Einstein’s (160).
- The scientific name for ‘morning wood’ is ‘nocturnal penile tumescence.’
- An average man spends 145 days of his life shaving.
There you have it, some interesting facts to enlighten you on this SA public holiday. Feel free to comment on this post if you have another interesting fact to share. Feedback is appreciated and welcome on Running Wolf’s Rant. Feel free to share this post with your Facebook and Twitter friends if you’ve found it interesting. Also feel free to check out the other posts in the Facts category here (which is updated regularly).
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- 4 Things That I’ll Remember About Capital Craft 2017 - June 22, 2017
- Get The Free Data Recovery Software That You Need - June 22, 2017
- 2nd Trailer released for Game of Thrones Season 7 - June 21, 2017