2010 FIFA World Cup Stadiums: Cape Town Stadium
Cape Town Stadium was completed in December 2009. It’s situated in the coastal city of Cape Town, in the Western Cape province of South Africa. The new stadium stands on the site of the old Green Point Stadium. The Cape Town stadium has a seating capacity of 68,000. Construction of the Cape Town Stadium, began in March 2007. It was completed in only 33 months. Joint contractors Murray & Roberts and WBHO completed the massive project at a cost of R4,4 billion (+/-$600 million). The project architects were an association between GMP Architects of Germany and 2 South African firms, Louis Karol and Associates and Point Architects. The Cape Town stadium has 750 rooms and 3,000 doors. +/- 2,500 construction workers were employed in the building of the stadium and 1,200 artisans received training from the contractors. Cape Town has another stadium which is primarily used for rugby games, Newlands. Cape Town Stadium will probably house local professional football outfit, Ajax Cape Town after the tournament. We drove past this stadium many times whilst on holiday for 7 days in December in Cape Town in December last year. It’s truly is one of the most beautiful sport stadiums that I’ve ever seen. This will be one of the best venues in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
The following matches will be played at Cape Town Stadium in the 2010 FIFA World Cup:
- France vs Uruguay – 11 June 2010 – Kickoff at 20:30
- Italy vs Paraguay – 14 June 2010 – Kickoff at 20:30
- England vs Algeria – 18 June 2010 – Kickoff at 20:30
- Portugal vs North Korea – 21 June 2010 – Kickoff at 13:30
- Cameroon vs The Netherlands – 24 June 2010 – Kickoff at 20:30
- Round of 16 Knockout match – 29 June 2010 – Kickoff at 20:30
- Third Quarter Final Match – 3 July 2010 – Kickoff at 16:00
- First Semi Final Match – 6 July 2010 – Kickoff at 20:30
Read my previous post which covers the 2010 FIFA World Cup Match Schedule for a full list of 2010 FIFA World Cup games.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- A quick chat with Gunshot Blue - January 17, 2017
- Win tickets to the February 2017 edition of Park Acoustics - January 16, 2017
- Get ready to go Large On The Lawn in Johannesburg - January 13, 2017