2010 FIFA World Cup Stadiums: Royal Bafokeng Stadium
The Royal Bafokeng Stadium is situated 12 km outside the city of Rustenburg in the North West Province of South Africa. The Royal Bafokeng stadium is only a 30 minute drive from Sun City and the Pilanesberg. The stadium has been upgraded to seat 42,000 for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. The roof of the main stand was upgraded as well for about $45 million. The Royal Bafokeng Stadium also has a new electronic scoreboard, new seats, upgraded floodlights and an upgraded public address system. This stadium has hosted many Professional Soccer League matches, despite the fact that Rustenburg does not even have a team in the competition. This multi-purpose venue hosted its first rugby international in 2006, for the Tri Nations competition. In the match South Africa beat New Zealand 21 – 20. The stadium has also hosted matches for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup. The stadium is named after the Bafokeng people who live in the area around the stadium. The Bafokeng people won a legal battle in 1999 entitling them to 20% of the platinum being mined on their historic land. Rustenburg is just over 1 hours drive from South Africa’s capital city, Pretoria. The Royal Bafokeng Stadium will host first and second round matches in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. It truly is one of the best sports venues in South Africa.
The following matches will be hosted at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium in the 2010 FIFA World Cup:
- 12 June 2010 – England vs USA – Kickoff at 20:30
- 15 June 2010 – New Zealand vs Slovakia – Kickoff at 13:30
- 19 June 2010 – Australia vs Ghana – Kickoff at 16:00
- 22 June 2010 – Mexico vs Uruguay – Kickoff at 16:00
- 24 June 2010 – Denmark vs Japan – Kickoff at 20:30
- 26 June 2010 – Knockoff round of 16 match – Kickoff at 20:30
Check out the previous post covering the 2010 FIFA World Cup Match Schedule for a full list of encounters in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Foto Album: Jack Parow @ Aandklas Hatfield - February 20, 2017
- Win Tickets to the March 2017 edition of Park Acoustics - February 20, 2017
- Celebrate Running Wolf’s Rant’s 9th Birthday at Aandklas Hatfield - February 19, 2017