The 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup kicked off on the 9th of September. All group matches were completed this past weekend. 20 teams started the tournament and only 8 teams remain now. The Quarter Finals of the 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup will be played this weekend. There have been plenty of matches where the winning side has scored more than 60 points in the tournament.
It has been an interesting IRB Rugby World Cup tournament. The competition has definitely been heating up and there has been no shortage of excitement. Apart from Tonga beating France this past weekend and Ireland beating Australia a few weeks ago there have been no major surprises in the 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup so far.
However, the following Quarter Final Matches will be played this weekend and we could be in for some surprises:
- Ireland vs Wales – 8 October 2011 – Regional Stadium, Wellington – Kick-off at 7 AM (SA time)
- England vs France – 8 October 2011 – Eden Park, Auckland – Kick-off at 9:30 AM (SA time)
- South Africa vs Australia – 9 October 2011 – Regional Stadium, Wellington – Kick-off at 7 AM (SA time)
- New Zealand vs Argentina – 9 October 2011 – Eden Park, Auckland – Kick-off at 9;30 AM (SA time)
The Springboks still have a chance to defend their IRB Rugby World Cup Title. I’m think that the Irish will prove to be too strong for the Welsh and that the French will be too strong for the English on Saturday. I’m also thinking that South Africa will beat Australia (in a very physical match) and New Zealand will beat Argentina on Sunday. So my version of the IRB Rugby World Cup semi-finals looks as follows:
- Ireland vs France
- South Africa vs New Zealand