2011 Tri Nations Rugby Match Schedule
The 2011 Tri Nations Rugby Tournament kicks off this coming weekend (on the 23rd of July 2011). Most Southern Hemisphere Natives are aware that this tournament is played between South Africa (the Springboks), New Zealand (the All Blacks) and Australia (the Wallabies). The competition is organized by SANZAR (a consortium formed by the 3 countries’ rugby governing bodies).
From the first tournament in 1996 until 2005, the three teams played each other twice. This was changed in 2006: Teams play against each other 3 times since then. Although, in years when the IRB Rugby World Cup is played (like this year) the amount of matches are reduced to 2. The Tri Nations will change its face in 2012 when Argentina is added to the mixture of Southern Hemisphere rugby. The tournament’s name will then be known as the Four Nations.
New Zealand are by far the most succesful Tri Nations team in the tournament’s history. The All Blacks have won the Tri Nations 10 times. They are also the defending champions. Australia have won it twice (in 2000 and 2001) and Springboks have won it 3 times (in 1998, 2004 and 2009).
This is a list of matches scheduled for the 2011 Tri Nations Rugby Tournament:
- 23 July 2011 – Australia vs South Africa – ANZ Stadium, Sydney – Kick Off at 12:05 PM
- 30 July 2011 – New Zealand vs South Africa – Westpac Stadium, Wellington – Kick Off at 09:35 AM
- 6 August 2011 – New Zealand vs Australia – Eden Park, Auckland – Kick Off at 09:35 AM
- 13 August 2011 – South Africa vs Australia – Mr Price Kings Park, Durban – Kick Off at 05:05 PM
- 20 August 2011 – South Africa vs New Zealand – Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth – Kick Off at 05:05 PM
- 27 August 2011 – Australia vs New Zealand – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane – Kick Off at 12:05 PM
A South African team may not have won the Super 15 this year, but that doesn’t mean that the Springboks will perform poorly in this year’s Tri Nations. International rugby (especially of the Southern Hemisphere variety) is played on a whole different level. The Springboks might just be victorious in this years tournament. Who knows? Please feel free to comment on this post and let the readers of Running Wolf’s Rant know what you think, feedback is appreciated.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Sport category on this blog. You might also want to check out the Great Tries section and the photos in the Daily Cool Photo section (some of them were taken at Super 15 matches this year). There is also a Daily Babe section which is updated daily and features over 600 babes from all over the world. Feel free to share any content you enjoy with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- A quick chat with Gunshot Blue - January 17, 2017
- Win tickets to the February 2017 edition of Park Acoustics - January 16, 2017
- Get ready to go Large On The Lawn in Johannesburg - January 13, 2017