The 19th Annual MTN South African Music Awards (SAMA) Ceremony took place at Sun City over the weekend. The Awards recognize accomplishment in the South African recording industry.
Awards were handed out in multiple categories over two days. Millions of viewers tuned into SABC 1 to witness the glitz, glam and the pizazz. The guest presenters at the MTN South African Music Awards included Penny Lebyane, Ben Maitsapo, Kgomotso KG Mooketsi, Khetha Gwala, James Shikwambana, Amor Vittone, Michelle Constant, Lerato Sengadi, Jared Orlin, Rapulana Seiphemo, Tsholo Monedi, Gareth Cliff, Zahara, Loyiso Bala, Tailor, Pearl Thusi, Tumi Morake, Theo Kgosinkwe, Nhlanhla Nciza, Zolisa Xaluva, Glen Lewis, Penny Lebyane, Tumi Morake, Greg Carlin and Thami Mgqolo.
During the course of the Awards Ceremony the crowd were entertained my Zahara, Riot, BlackByrd, Lindiwe Maxolo, Dr Thomas Chauke na Shinyori Sisters, Sizwe Zako, Hlengiwe Mhlaba, Teddy Bears, L’vovo Derrango, Professor, Zonke and Kabomo, Chiano Sky with DJ Zinhle ft. Busiswa, Bobby van Jaarsveld with Oskido ft. Candy, Zozo & Sangere Superbeat, Desmond & The Tutus with Kabelo, Professor, Sfiso and Khaya ft. Proverb, Donald, Lira and DJ Vetkuk & Mahoota ft. Dr Malinga & Manqoba.
I think it’s safe to say that SA Music is alive and well. Check out the full list of the 19th annual MTN South African Music Awards Winners below:
- Album of the Year: Khuli Chana – Lost in Time
- Duo or Group of the Year: Freshlyground – Take Me to the Dance
- Female Artist of the Year : Kelly Khumalo – The Past, The Present, The Future
- Male Artist of the Year: Khuli Chana – Lost in Time
- Newcomer of the Year : Toya Delazy – Due Drop Deluxe
- Best Rock Album: Zebra & Giraffe – The Wisest Ones
- Best Pop Album: Toya Delazy Due – Drop Deluxe
- Best Adult Contemporary Album: Elvis Blue – Journey
- Beste Kontemporêre Musiek Album: Theuns Jordaan – Roeper
- Best African Adult Album: Maleh – Step Child
- Best Alternative Album: iScream & The Chocolate Stix – The Paradox
- Best R&B/Soul/Reggae Album: Khaya – For You
- Best Rap Album: Khuli Chana – Lost in Time
- Best Kwaito Album: Professor – The Orientation
- Best Dance Album: Black Coffee – Africa Rising
- Best Traditional Faith Music Album: Various – Spirit of Praise Vol.4
- Best Contemporary Faith Music Album: Ntokozo Mbambo – Filled
- Best Traditional Album: Soul Brothers – Isiphithiphithi
- Best Maskandi Album: Ichwane Lebhaca- Inkunzi Yomthakathi
- Best Jazz Album: Herbie Tsoaeli – African Time
- Best Classic & Instrumental Album: CH2 – CH2 Guitar Duo Live with the University of Pretoria Symphony Orchestra
- Best Live DVD: The Captured Tour Concert Film – Lira
- Best Collaboration: Riot Feat. Zahara – Thetha Nami
- Best Music Video of the Year: Claudio Pavan for Honey Spiders by The Parlotones
- Best Producer: Jax Panik for Due Drop Deluxe by Toya Delazy
- Best Engineer: Mark Beling for Strong by BlackByrd
- Remix of the Year: DJ Kent for Thinking about You Ft. Zonke DJ Kent Remix (Theo Kgosinkwe)
- Best Selling DVD: Vol. 16 Live at Carnival City – Joyous Celebration
- Best Selling Album: Roeper – Theuns Jordaan
- Best Selling Tru-Tone: Follow Me – DJ Cleo ft. Teddy Bears
- Best Selling Ring-Back-Tone: Loliwe – Zahara
- Best Selling Full-Track Download: You’re The Voice Shout/J23 – Artists for a safer South Africa
- SAMPRA AWARD: Heavenly Sent – Mi Casa
- Lifetime Achievement Awards: Johannes Kerkorrel (posthumously), Sizwe Zako and Dr Thomas Chauke
I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of the 2013 MTN South African Music Awards Winners. I’m especially glad that Johannes Kerkorrel finally got the recognition that he deserves. Without him South African rock music would probably not exist today.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
The following two tabs change content below.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf's Rant and co-founder of SA Music Zone