3 Last Basics to Remember for Oppikoppi 2012 Sweet Thing
Oppikoppi 2012 Sweet Thing is upon us this week. South Africa’s Premier Music Festival kicks off on the 9th of August (this week Thursday) and ends on the 11th of August 2012.
I’ve really been looking forward to this year’s festival. It’s going to be a blast. It’s also going to be the biggest Oppikoppi in the festival’s history. 18,500 tickets were sold this morning already. Only 1,500 tickets are still available and are bound to sell out. With 140 acts in total performing (which includes an international line-up made up out of Enter Shikari, Seether, Bullet for My Valentine and Eagles of Death Metal) this is probably going to happen.
Today I’m covering 3 Basics to Remember for Oppikoppi 2012 Sweet Thing. It might sound like I’m repeating myself, and yes, I am, somewhat, but bear with me.
- Don’t Be A Doos: Rudi Cronje (One of the musos that I’ve met over the last few years) gave this valuable tip for the first time before last year’s festival. Put it to you this way folks: Leave your Modern Talking, Kurt Darren, Baby Tjoklits, Bobby Van Jaarsveld, Patricia Lewis, Jurie Els CDs at home. If you play this in your camp site, chances are people will think that you’re a doos or you might just get moered. Plain an simple. On the flipside, be considerate to other festival goers, don’t play Lamb of God or Slipknot louder than the trumpets at the 2007 Rugby World Cup Final at 3 AM when everyone’s trying to catch some shuteye. Shouting “Oppikoppi” to everyone you encounter on your way back to your camp site at 2 AM is not considering being a doos though – I call that having “Gees”.
- Don’t Forget Toilet Paper: I remember reading this golden rule the first time before I made way to this festival way back in 1998. There’s plenty of Porta Pottis and Porcelain Cows with ample toilet paper near the stage area, but sometimes you have to go when you have to go at your camp site (which might be a mile from there). This is why you should remember toilet paper. It’s just a good thing to have handy if you need to go for a number 2 somewhere in the bushes behind your camp site.
- Don’t Forget to Drink Water: If I’ve learned one thing from the 13 other Oppikoppi festivals that I’ve been to, its this. You can’t expect yourself to survive on alcohol only the whole day. Alcohol causes you to dehydrate. And it just gets worse in 25 to 30 degree heat during the day. Make sure you drink at least 1 to 2 Litres of water in-between your drinks. This way you might just stroll out of the top bar at 4 AM instead of passing out at your camp site at 5 PM and missing all the bands. Trust me on this.
Well, that’s the 3 basics that I think you should remember before making your way to festival later this week. Drop me a comment and let me know if you agree with me or not. Feedback is appreciated and welcome.
My good friends and partners in crime @BaasDeBeer and @IlzeMarie1 did a podcast last week on my other blog (SA Music Zone). I think they did an excellent job in covering most of the basics for Oppikoppi in this. You should really listen to this if you’re still clueless about Oppikoppi 2012 Sweet Thing, click on the play button below, or download it via the link provided in the window. Just a note: It mostly done in Afrikaans (but I’m sure that many of you will understand this):
During the course of the last few months I’ve written quite a few articles about this year’s upcoming festival. You can access all of them by clicking on the “Oppikoppi” Icon on top of this post (above the navigation bar and below the header).
If you haven’t bought your ticket yet, you should really move your arse. To get your ticket to South Africa‘s premier music festival, head on over to the Standard Bank youth portal for your discounted R600 tickets. They supplement each ticket for the fans and you DO NOT have to be a Standard Bank client to make use of this service. You can also obtain tickets on the Oppikoppi Festival Facebook page for R700 or for R750 from Ticketbreak.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Opinion and Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- A quick chat with Thundermerwe - December 5, 2016
- Jack Parow & Jitsvinger stel “Dis Bef*k” Remix vry - December 1, 2016
- Win a Pixies, The Temper Trap etc. CD Hamper! - November 30, 2016