Oppikoppi 2013 Bewilderbeast officially kicks off 7 days from now. It’s gonna be a blast. Picture this: 20,000 dust covered festival dwellers, lovers of good music and other weird creatures on one farm enjoying good tunes, good vibes, meeting new friends, drinking copious amounts of alcohol, burning to a crisp during the day and freezing their tit bits off at night. If you’re a dude: prepare yourself to see some of the loveliest ladies and if you’re a girl: prepare to see some of the hottest dusty guys you’ve ever seen.
Besides the line-up and going through the check list for things you need for Oppikoppi, you should also take note that there are a few things happening at Oppikoppi 2013 Bewilderbeast you should know about.
If you have never been to Oppikoppi: FIRST read the Terms of Endearment on the Oppikoppi website or the Oppikoppi Festival Facebook page or download the mobile app (available for Blackerry, iOS and Android). There’s some crucial info for surviving the festival and info on what works and what doesn’t work and why – very useful for newbies.
If you’ve been to a few Oppikoppi festivals, take note of the following:
- Gates to the camp site opens on Tuesday at 9 AM. Please note: There is no access to the entertainment areas (read = no food stalls) until Thursday, so you have to be self-reliant for two days (or something like that).
- Gates to entertainment area opens on Thursday at 9 AM.
- The organizers have tweaked the layout a bit and added more dams, more water reticulation (to fight dust in the entertainment area) and to generally create a more open free experience.
- Standing resplendent on the second koppi is a brand new double storey Windhoek beer deck. It is open to anyone but you have to participate in their activities to get access. It also probably has the best view this side of the mighty Apies river.
- Dustbowl Olympics: many of you complained that you missed the races last year. But this year’s the organizers are ready for you. The races will be clearly communicated and will go in a circular route marked on the map. There will be a few races, so pick your animal and let it rip.
- The Box Car race takes place at 4 PM On Friday, the Boom Street 500 Naked Dash takes place at 12 noon on Saturday, the running of the Bewilderbeats (Fancy dress) takes place at 2 PM on Saturday and the Wil(d)abong Surf Classic takes place at 4 PM on Saturday.
Rules for the Boom Street 500 Naked Dash: You must have have shoes on, you must be naked, you must have your own helpers at the start / finish and you must finish the lap. The race is open to almost all males and females. Take note that if you make other people feel bad or insecure by being naked or having better shoes on the organizers can kick you out.
Rules for the first ever Dustbowl Carryable Boxcar race: You must have carryable boxcar construction of some sort, the vehicle must be human powered, it must not be built for speed. Marks are given for good looks only and both the boxcar and passengers get judged. The box cars must have cup holders and there’s no cap on the number of people per vehicle (so a bus can work, but each person must have a cup holder).
Rules for the Running of the BewilderBeast – “Oopketelstyl/Freestyle”: Anyone in fancy dress or a onesy can take part. If you are not fancy dressed enough, you can’t run. Bonus points for dressing up might lead to special prizes in this particular category.
Rules for the Wil(d)Abong Dust road Surf Classic (For men and women without moustaches): Bring your own friends and some rope. Bring your own board and tie with rope. It has to be powered by other humans (no cars or other animals or any laaities from Wolmer or Secunda are allowed to tow surfboards). No fools please. Oppikoppi can not be held responsible for any injuries, disabilities, disfigurations, etc. Also note that the judge’s decision is final.
Pre-registration for all races will be organised an hour before each item. There will be limited numbers for each event. Pre-registering details at the festival. Winners get free entry to Oppikoppi 2014 and some beer. Get more news about this at Oppikoppi 2013 Bewilderbeast.
This is the official map for Oppikoppi 2013 Bewilderbeast:
Also take note of the following:
- This year Oppikoppi turns 19. It was declared a heritage site in 2009. Take some time to see some of the heritage in the top bar and spread some heritage of your own. Like in previous years your cars will be covered in dust by the end of day 1. Use this time, create some finger art and take photos of it.
- Oppikoppi 2013 Bewilderbeast will have a beer drone (which is apparently a world first at a festival). Unfortunately the beer drone app will only be available in the the Google Play store. This entire gimmick is still new, so the organizers are taking it slowly with limited drones. There will only one or two in operation at any time. Please use it safely and don’t mock the drones. The organizers want to know if the beer is still cold when you get it (so let them know). Take photos and videos if you can, you’ll be part of Oppikoppi history in the making.
- Another new edition for this year’s festival is the introduction of the @EenManEenBoom2 travelling camp site impromptu stage for prawns to give their all (or their best. Or just give something or everything). If you have an instrument you can bring it along or just join the choir of prawns opening their hearts. Be on the lookout for Conrad Jamneck’s classic festival van.
- The organizers are also trying a new cleaning mechanism. Every person entering the festival will receive a black refuse bag. There will be bakkies circling the camp roads collecting the full bags throughout the festival. These guys are not allowed to go into the camp sites to pick up rubbish. They simply collect full bags.
- The good folks from Samsung will be rolling out more charging stations than ever. There will be an opportunity to charge your phone. The organizers strongly recommend leaving other valuables at home or locked away in your car somewhere.
- The organizers also recommend that you download the Waze app for the trek to the festival and the exit migration. Please take part and make notes of congestion, road hazards, etc. Let’s get everyone in as safely and quickly as possible.
- Take down this link now and paste it in your google maps app: http://goo.gl/qQJisZ. The exit through Northam is often a nightmare around Sunday. If your car is able to handle a bit of standard fair dirt-roading find below a link for alternative ways of getting back to the R510 which is usually a lot quicker. (Please note: there is lots of dust around the kalk mine, thereafter normal dirt road conditions).
- Like last year and the year before Oppikoppi is cashless. You can pre-buy vouchers to save time at the festival. Information on loading and exporting value at the event or on the back of your NFC card. Also take note that you can’t use last year’s card at this festival.
- If your ticket was not used we will refund you. Simple as that. Contact the organizers post event.
- Don’t buy tickets from strangers or Facebook / Gumtree “friends” who cannot make it anymore. It is an expensive hobby which in the past has proven to be false tickets.
- There are many many gimmicks and tricks to add value or get free stuff at the event. So look around and take part.
- For the 3rd or 4th year in a row Windhoek are running a redemption scheme: if you arrive with a case of Windhoek (NB: And the till slip) and you can get a free Hoodie (while stocks last). However: they doubled the order of hoodies after the organizers ran out last year.
- Bring your bottle of Captain Morgan (and the till slip) and you could stand a chance to get some Captain Morgain goodies.
- If you’re on Twitter, make sure that you check out the Oppikoppi #KoppiOnFire Tweetup at the Ray Ban stage on Friday.
- Have fun, shed your skin and go wild, but be safe. Do not accept substances from strangers and help the organizers to keep dealers and hard drugs out of Oppikoppi. As always you can report strange behaviour to any of the security or safety personnel at all times.
There you have it, a few things that you should know about Oppikoppi 2013 Bewilderbeast. I trust that you find this information useful. Keep an eye out for a baldish guy with a sunglass tan and a camera and buy him a shot. (That’s me if you were wondering).
Spread the word about this by sharing this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.