For those you who did not know, Fokofpolisiekar is turning 10 years old next year. And the great news is that they’re starting early with the Fokofpolisiekar Acoustic & Rock Tour.
It’s amazing that these blokes have been around for this long. I still recall seeing Fokofpolisiekar live the first time in 2004 at Oppikoppi 10. There couldn’t have been more than 500 people in front of the stage for that set (if I can recall correctly). Since then they’ve played about every major festival in South Africa and have maintained a steady fan base (despite going into hiatus after they released their “Swanesang” album). There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that Fokofpolisiekar has truly had a controversial, exciting and successful career to date.
If you ask me, early celebrations are definitely in order and Fokofpolisiekar seem to have the same idea. Ending 2012 with the Fokofpolisiekar Acoustic & Rock Tour is a great idea. Most of you familiar with the band will know that besides playing great music, celebrating is what they do best! This legendary 5-piece rock outfit (who originally hail from Bellville in the Western Cape) made a massive impact on the local music scene since their first musical offering in 2003 which was entitled As jy met vuur speel sal jy brand.
The Fokofpolisiekar Acoustic and Rock Tour will offer a somewhat different kind of show. It’s basically a selection of the band’s most popular acoustic and rock musical offerings over the last nine years performed in true Fokofpolisiekar style, nogal spiff if you ask me.
The tour details are as follows:
- 29 October 2012 – Barnyard Theatre, Willowbridge (Bellville), Contact 021 914 8898 / firstname.lastname@example.org. Doors open 18h30 / Show Starts at 20h00. Entrance costs R120 per person. Pre-sold tickets are available. Visit the Barnyard Theatre website for more info. The event is +/- 90 minutes long.
- 30 November 2012 – Mercury Live, Cape Town, Contact 021 465 7286. Show starts at 9 PM. Entrance costs R80 per person. Pre Sold Tickets are available via Ticketbreak. The event is +/- 90 minutes long.
- 9 December 2012 - Barnyard Theatre, Parkview, Pretoria. Contact 012 368 1555 / email@example.com. Doors open 18h30 / Show Starts at 20h00. Entrance costs R120 per person. Pre-sold tickets are available. Show has a duration of +/- 90 minutes.
- 10 December 2012 - Barnyard Theatre, Cresta, Johannesburg. Contact 011 478 5300 / firstname.lastname@example.org. Doors open 18h30 / Show Starts at 20h00. Entrance costs R120 per person. Show has a duration of +/- 90 minutes.
- 11 December 2012 - Atterbury Theatre, Pretoria. Pre-sold tickets are available via Computicket or at the Theatre. Contact 012 471 1700. Doors open 18h30 / Show Starts at 20h00. Entrance costs R120 per person. +/- 90 minutes duration.
If you ask me the Fokofpolisiekar Rock & Acoustic Tour is going to be awesome. If you have a chance to catch one of these shows in a city near you, don’t miss out. Support South African Music, it’s the right thing to do!