Francois Van Coke to release 2nd Solo Album
Francois Van Coke kicked off his solo career with a bang last year in April with the launch of his self-titled debut album and the release of Toe vind ek jou featuring Karen Zoid. Fast forward a year and a half and this music video has over 2 million views and Francois is back in studio to record his sophomore solo album, Hierdie is die Lewe (This is the Life).
Sheldon Yoko tracked the drums for the album at Red Bull Studios in Cape Town this week. As of next week the rest of the instruments and vocals will be recorded and produced by Johnny de Ridder (Fokofpolisiekar guitarist) and Rudolph Willemse (Francois van Coke bassist) at Soft Light City in Bellville.
Francois says that “the recording of the second album is already going smoother than the first one. I’m working with my band, Die Gevaar, on all the tracks. They had a bigger hand in the writing process this time round. We are taking things slow so that we have more than enough time to make something fantastic.”
The first single from the upcoming album is Mensdom (Mankind). This single and music video will drop on 10th November 2016. As of this date the single will be available as an instant gratification when pre-ordering Hierdie is die Lewe on iTunes. The Mensdom single, plus another track from the album, Klein Prys (Small Price) will also be released by Permanent Record on a 7” vinyl from 10 November. It will be on sale at shows and via the Permanent Record online store. Francois’ second full length album will be released in February 2017.
Francois had a great experience working with iFani on Timeline for Coke Studios. “I really enjoyed working with iFani. He is a very talented artist and I could definitely learn from him. I haven’t written anything in English recently, so this was an enriching experience. It was also great to work with my full band on this. Rudolph Willemse, my bass player, produced the track. I think this is a fantastic tune and I hope everyone in South Africa can hear it.”
Francois van Coke and Die Gevaar will hit the road in October for a nationwide tour. On this tour, they will perform the first single, Mensdom, from the upcoming album, before the video is released in November. Here’s the list of gigs happening in the near future:
- 7 October – Fiddler on the Roof @ De Ark Guesthouse, Lydenburg, Mpumalanga.
- 8 October – Rango’s, Nelspruit, Mpumalanga.
- 11 October – Cafe Barcelona, Pretoria, Gauteng.
- 12 October – Mystic Boer, Bloemfontein, Free State.
- 13 October – Mystic Boer, Potchefstroom, North West.
- 14 October – Arcade Empire, Pretoria, Gauteng.
- 15 October – Good Luck Bar, Johannesburg, Gauteng.
- 16 October – Aandklas, Stellenbosch, Western Cape.
- 22 October – Olive and Twist, Stellenbosch, Western Cape.
- 30 October – Knorhoek Wine Estate, Western Cape.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 teaser trailer released - October 19, 2016
- Henry Rollins Interview (Video) - October 19, 2016
- Photo Album: Jack Parow @ Aandklas Hatfield - October 18, 2016