It’s time for the next installment in the Meet the Grind Radio Crew section on Running Wolf’s Rant. Jarryd “The Boss” is the station manager of the Grind Radio. I recently spoke to this mysterious music-loving individual, this is what he had to say.
So, what does Jarryd “The Boss” Wood like about music? I love everything about GOOD music. You know when that song comes on and you get all weird inside and start air drumming and shit? – That’s what I love. Music speaks to everyone.
- Mastodon – i think everyone at the station saw this one coming, but for me they are amazing. Technical and tight. I could go on all day about them but I won’t. Just go have a listen to their “Leviathan” and “The Hunter” albums and you’ll understand.
- Pearl Jam – Who doesn’t love Pearl Jam? My brother gave me “Vitalogy” when I was about 11 and i was sold.
- Arctic Monkeys – I think people might find it funny that they are on this list, but I love their sound.
- Foo Fighters – Dave Grohl and his crew are probably the best people to look up to in the music industry. Telling it like it is and making music for the love of music.
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers – When i started playing bass guitar, like most, i looked up to Flea as a bassist. The way RHCP work together in their sound is amazing. It’ a pity Frusciante isn’t with the band no more, but Klinghoffer brings some awesome energy.
None of the above are in any particular order and there are so many more bands i would love to mention, but these are the 5 bands that have influenced me the most. Here the 7 worst bands of all time (in my opinion):
AC/DC (the most overrated band in the world), The Parlotones, Creed, Nickelback, Korn, all the Yellowcards and the Bowling for Soups and all the One Directions and Justin Biebers too (obviously). These bands need no explanation as to why they are so bad.
What prompted you to start the Grind Radio and what do you like the most about it?
I was always making playlists for my car and one day i thought to myself, let me play these to people. Let me play the music i love to people who might feel the same. It was a very in the moment thing. The next day i started registering the domain and getting software etc. I had no idea the station would be where it is today. Going live has been awesome, and it couldn’t have happened without any one of the DJ’s.
What is the funniest thing that you’ve seen in studio at or heard on air on the Grind Radio?
At the studio – I have been lucky enough to have watched Gendez (Juan) break down to Michael Jackson. That was pretty funny. Listening on air however – Crazy Jay takes the cake with his “racoons thing”. The first time that happened I laughed my ass off. He’s a crazy guy that Crazy Jay!
Which SA artists / bands do you think need more recognition and deserve more airplay on local radio stations?
The SA music industry is really looking up. Our country is producing a bunch of great bands. Bands such as The Plastics, We Are Charlie, even Shadowclub (they need to go overseas!). The music industry still has along way to go though. We can’t even go to Oppikoppi without complaining about the line-up. All we want to see are international bands, fine but how do you want an industry to grow if you don’t support it. The line-up at Oppikoppi is awesome, that’s because our bands in South Africa are awesome. Support them all!
Which 5 bands do you want to come to South Africa and why?
- Cage The Elephant – I think these guys pull off an amazing show. I’ve seen one or two of their shows on YouTube and they are pretty good.
- The Prodigy – I just want them to come back, What a show they put on at Synergy Live in 2012!
- Queens of the Stoneage – I just need to see them live!
- Tenacious D – How awesome would that be?
- Pearl Jam – Enough said.
Which songs are you currently listening to and what stands out about it for you?
“Hollow” by Alice In Chains – The chorus just gets me every time. William DuVall’s voice is amazing.
“Knifeman” – The Bronx – Another great vocalist. Check them out!
“Racoon Eyes” – Priestess – I love my stoner rock. The riffs in this song make me happy.
Are you excited about Oppikoppi this year? And if so, which bands are you looking forward to and why?
Very! I’m super excited for Wolfmother, I have been a fan for years and I think they are going to blow us away. They are the only Aussies I like! Last year i only got to see the last two songs of Bittereinder’s set (don’t ask why), so I’m excited to check them out.
Taxi Violence always put on a great show and I’m really excited to see Spoek Mathambo live. I have his album and have heard so much about his live show. I will be checking out a lot of local bands I haven’t seen before and I’m sure they’ll all be good!
When can people listen to you on the Grind Radio?
I’m on air Mondays from 19-00 to 21-00 with Divan for the Monday Nights Playlist 1. Then Fridays from 15-00 to 17-00 for the MidNoon Typhoon with Ruan.
I want to take this opportunity to thank Jarryd “The Boss” Wood for taking time off his busy schedule to answer these questions. You can follow him on Twitter via @MrSkylaar on Twitter or via @GrindRadio.
Well, there you have it, the fourth installment in the Meet The Grind Radio Crew series on Running Wolf’s Rant. If you’ve enjoyed reading this article, feel free to share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is Caring.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Interviews and Music categories on Running Wolf’s Rant.