Mumford & Sons SA Tour Update
Earlier this year, Hilltop Live (the awesome folks that bring you Oppikoppi every year) announced that Mumford & Sons would be touring South Africa in early 2016.
Today the organizers announced the supporting acts for the shows. Beatenberg, The Very Best and John Wizards will be supporting Mumford & Sons on their 2016 tour. All three acts will be performing at the Cape Town and Pretoria shows and The Very Best will be the sole supporting act for their Durban show.
The Very Best is a collaboration between London-based DJ/production duo Radioclit and Esau Mwamwaya, a singer from Lilongwe, Malawi. Their music has been described as an Afro-Western mix of dance, hip-hop, pop, and the traditional music of Malawi.
John Wizards is a South African band from Cape Town formed in 2010. They are currently signed to Planet Mu records. The band consists of vocalist and guitarist John Withers, vocalist Emmanuel Nzaramba, drummer and percussionist Raphael Segerman, bassist and keyboardist Alex Montgomery, guitarist Tom Parker and guitarist and keyboardist Geoff Brink. The band released its self-titled first album in September 2012, which includes the singles “Lusaka by Night” and “Muizenberg”. The band’s style has been described as a mix of R&B, soukous, afro-pop, reggae, South African house, Shangaan electro and dub.
The band have toured extensively in Europe and the UK over the past few years, including festival appearances at Glastonbury, Primavera Sound, Field Day, Pukkelpop, Worldwide Festival, Latitude and Melt! Festival, as well as supporting Jagwar Ma on their UK tour in 2013.
Beatenberg is a fresh new face in pop music from South Africa. Or rather, three faces, handsome and young and intelligent. The faces are of Matthew Field, who also has a beautiful voice and plays the guitar, Ross Dorkin, who has beautiful hands that play the bass, and Robin Brink, who has a beautiful life-force and plays the drums like a nutcase.
Despite being in love with and schooled in ‘serious music’ like Beethoven, Debussy and John Coltrane, (Ross and Matthew studied music together at the University of Cape Town) Beatenberg is adamant that they are heard as ‘pop music’, which they believe is actually quite serious too. Songwriter Matthew says: ‘It’s about emotions, images and fleeting senses of things: the mad stuff that everyone feels and almost understands.’
If you don’t have a ticket yet, I have GREAT News for YOU! Earlier today, Mumford & Sons announced that they will be releasing a number of tickets for their upcoming shows and that fans are able to register for the remaining tickets via a ballot this week.
The band (who are arguably one of the most exciting live acts of their generation) broke all South African ticketing records back in September. They announced six shows for 2016 and sold out all 85,000 tickets in minutes.
They are now offering the opportunity for all ticket-less fans to register via Plankton.Mobi from today to be in with an opportunity to purchase official tickets, at face value to the show of their choice. It gives disappointed fans another, final chance to gain entry to some of the most highly anticipated live shows in this country for years.
In association with Gentlemen of the Road and Hilltop Live, South African Mumford & Sons fans can register for their chance to buy face value tickets between 8th and 13th December, so don’t hesitate, do it NOW!
By registering, everyone has a fair chance to get hold of these remaining tickets. On Monday 14th December, a generator will randomly draw out registered users and these users will be able to purchase tickets to the show of their choice.
Fans who aren’t randomly drawn from the generator will still stand a chance of being drawn to win a selection of amazing hampers of merchandise and albums from Universal Music South Africa (which includes the new Mumford & Sons album, ‘Wilder Mind’).
- There will be a 48 hour period where registered users will have the opportunity to buy your tickets. If within these 48 hours you do not purchase your tickets, your voucher code will be voided and these tickets will be sold to the next registered user picked from the generator.
- Tickets are limited to 4 number per person registered.
- Tickets are not being allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Applications do not guarantee that you will receive a ticket through the ballot process.
- Successful applicants will be notified by email (if the application was made online) and by the end of 14 December. At that time successful applicants will be asked to complete the required transaction including all fees. Applicants must use the name and email address matching their ballot entry during the purchase process. Any mistakes or errors may result in the purchase being rejected and the application forfeited. The transaction to purchase tickets must be completed within 48 hours of receipt of notification of success.
- Please check to see if your application has been successful; and check your spam and junk mail folders.
- Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
- If successful applicants do not complete their transaction within the specified time, their tickets will be forfeited and re-allocated.
- Successful applicants (and their guests) are responsible for their own costs including travel to and from the event, and accommodation.
- Tickets are strictly non-transferable.
- Mumford & Sons, Gentlemen of the Road, Hilltop Live, their sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any application being lost or not properly registered or recorded.
- Tickets may not be sold, traded, or offered for sale; and may not be used as a prize or for any other promotional or trade purpose by any organisation.
- Applicants must supply full details as required and comply with all rules and regulations to be eligible for the ticket(s). No responsibility is accepted for ineligible applications, or applications made fraudulently.
The personal details you provide when entering the ballot will only be used by Plankton.mobi (the company contracted to collect application details, manage the application process, and the ballot on our behalf), to administer the ballot. Information will only be held for as long as is necessary to ensure full, proper and appropriate administration of the event, following the event and be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Thereafter information will be used by Mumford & Sons, Gentlemen of the Road and Hilltop Live until such time as opt out is actioned.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Brace yourselves for LILO 2017 - January 18, 2017
- A quick chat with Gunshot Blue - January 17, 2017
- Win tickets to the February 2017 edition of Park Acoustics - January 16, 2017