Albert Frost released his highly anticipated third solo album, The Wake Up, in April this year. In a departure from Frost’s blues roots, this album explores various musical avenues and lyrical content. Case in point is his new single, Modern Romance. The song, co-written with Hunter Kennedy, can best be described as “psychedelic Karoo rock”.
Modern Romance is about the incongruity between the image people display on social media and the reality of their lives. This premise is illustrated in the music video where a world is created where people live with headsets on. They have been wearing the headsets so long that they don’t remember the real world. Albert’s headset malfunctions and he wakes up…
The theme of the music video, truth versus fiction, was tragically underlined during filming. Albert and the film crew missed a fatal gang related shooting mere minutes before they started setting up at their location in Wesbank, Kuils River on 14th of August 2016. The video was directed by Loedi Van Reenen. Check it out below:
If you haven’t seen this legendary South African muso live yet, you should. Catch Albert Frost Live in October at these venues:
- J-Bay Bru Co, Jeffrey’s Babe – 6 October 2016
- Unplugged 62, Joubert-Tradauw Wine Farm, Barrydale – 7 October 2016
- Plett Wine & Bubbly Fest – 8 October 2016
- Mountain Shadows, Paarl – 9 October 2016
- Balboa, Stellenbosch – 13 October 2016
- Dullstroom, Mpumalanga – 21 October 2016
- Tarentaal Teater, Rustenburg – 29 October 2016
- Park Acoustics, Pretoria – 30 October 2016
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.