A quick Pre-Oppikoppi chat with Tuin
If you have not seen Tuin live, there must be something wrong with you. This lady has a truly awesome voice that sends vibrations right into your brain, your veins, your being – basically anything that you can think of.
Tuin is playing at the Skellum stage at Oppikoppi 2015 The Fantastic Mr. Vos Vos this Saturday at 1 PM and one lucky fan stands a change to win a FREE Tuin show in their backyard. All you have to do is to show up at Tuin’s set at the festival with your Oppikoppi Survival Kit. The person who is the most creative will win a FREE Tuin show in their Tuin (aka garden).
I was privileged to have a quick chat with Tuin (ahead of her set at Oppikoppi on Saturday). I’m pretty sure that this will get you amped for the festival. Here’s what she had to say:
So where does the name “Tuin” come from?
It’s my nickname…I’ll give you three answers for that, then you can decide which one you think is true
1. I was born in my parent’s garden in Pretoria North.
2. I woke up in our neighbour’s garden on my 16th birthday.
3. I stole a gnome out of a garden one night, driving home with some friends after a lekker party in Hatfield, the owner saw me, caught us and I slept in the Hatfield tjoekie for the night.
If you could colab with any international musician, who would it be and why?
It would definitely be Anouk, she is my favourite artist and has inspired me to be a better muso and performer.
Which acts are you looking forward to watch live at Oppikoppi this year?
Gogol Bordello!!!! Twin Atlantic!!!! Tannie Karen and Francois!!!! Luna Paige and Gerald Clarke!!! Desmond and the Tutu’s!!!! Johnny Clegg!!!! Oei, I can go on…
If you could give anyone some solid advice for entering the music industry in SA, what would you say?
Well each artist’s path is different… and the industry is like a box of chocolates… you never know what you’re gonna get so if I could say three things that might be helpful they would be:
1. Practice Practice Practice! There is no excuse not to practice, even if you think you’ve made it, I can guarantee you that there is a 12 year old Asian somewhere in the world that’s better than you.
2. Music is about the people. Show them your love and appreciation as much as you can!! The fact that you’re on a stage doesn’t make you better than them, stay humble!
3. Get yourself a good manager, someone you can trust and who knows the industry.
What is the funniest thing that has happened at one of Tuin’s shows?
Seeing the whole crowd do the “bum dance” at Marais Street Acoustics. One of the chicks got a little carried away and flashed Jacques. He was so shocked that he stopped singing and we had to start the song over. I’m definitely gonna teach the crowd at Koppi how to do it with me. Yeah!
I’d like to thank Tuin for taking some time to answer my questions. If you’re at the festival this weekend, make sure that you don’t miss her set (which will be featuring a guest appearance by Kobus De Kock Jr. from Black Cat Bones). It’s going to be awesome. Mark my words.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Interviews and Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- A quick chat with Gunshot Blue - January 17, 2017
- Win tickets to the February 2017 edition of Park Acoustics - January 16, 2017
- Get ready to go Large On The Lawn in Johannesburg - January 13, 2017