Most of you reading this post found this link via Twitter or Facebook. That is just living proof that social media is alive and kicking, especially in South Africa. If you still think that Social Media is a sham, think again. There are more than 300 million users on Twitter globally and more than 800 million users on Facebook globally. The new kid on the social media block, Pinterest (a pinboard-style social photo sharing website) has also been making waves and has more than 11 million unique visitors monthly – kinda insane don’t you think?
Let’s face it folks, South Africa doesn’t have a huge amount of Internet users, but it’s growing daily. We do however have a huge amount of Mobile Phone users. One can’t ignore the Mobile Phone space in the Digital Marketplace. That makes getting a mobile version of your website or blog up and running is important.
Chatterbox Digital recently posted a video highlight Social Media Statistics in South Africa. Lots of things are said in the clip, but here are some key facts:
- There are over 4.8 million Facebook users in South Africa (9.86% penetration of the total population)
- 91% of South African internet users have a Facebook account.
- 50% of South African Facebook users access it via their mobile phones.
- The average Facebook user spends 700 minutes a month on Facebook.
- There are 1.1 million Twitter users in South Africa (of which 405,000 users are actively tweeting)
- South African Twitter Users send 470,000 Tweets per month.
- Johannesburg is the city in South Africa that is the most active on Twitter. Cape Town is in second place.
- There are more than 1.5 million Linkedin users in South Africa.
- 29% of South African internet users have a Linkedin Account.
- South African YouTube users upload 48 hours of video every minute onto the website.
- There are over 460,000 registered South African Google+ users.
- Mxit is still the biggest Social Network in South Africa with 10 million users.
You can view the full video (which contains more interesting South African Social Media Statistics) below:
I have been embracing social media over the last few years. Social Media is actually a huge part of my dayjob (for those of you who did not know). You can follow Running Wolf’s Rant via @rwrant on Twitter or you can follow me via @hennokruger on Twitter, the choice is yours. I am just warning you that I do tweet a lot on my personal account (I’m on over 77,000 tweets at the moment). If Facebook is more your thing, you can check out Running Wolf’s Rant on Facebook or check out Henno Kruger Photography on Facebook (if that’s more your thing). You can also follow me on Pinterest.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Technology category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- Brace yourself for Sandton Craft Beer Fair 4 - February 28, 2015
- Francois Van Coke releases first single from his solo album - February 20, 2015
- Brace yourself for the third edition of Otterlake Easter Festival - February 19, 2015