South African Twitter User Facts
A while ago I did a post about Noteworthy South African Twitter users featuring some of the most interesting South African people on Twitter. Since the 23rd of April I have been doing a weekly post highlighting 10 interesting South African Twitter profiles coinciding with the infamous ‘Follow Friday’ tradition on the popular micro-blogging service. About a week ago Fuseware released the results of South African Twitter user marketing research conducted about between March and April 2010. You can download the full report here. I thought that my readers would find this data interesting.
Here are some of the findings from the report about South African Twitter users:
- South Africa has 55,000 active Twitter users.
- 35-40% of South Africa Twitter users tweet from their mobile phones.
- South African Twitter users are responsible for 1.5 million tweets a month on Twitter (over 50 millon tweets a day are sent on Twitter globally).
- 4.5% of South African websites reference Twitter (This is considerably higher overseas, especially in the United States).
- Twitter is the 7th most viewed website in South Africa (Twitter is currently ranked 12th in the world by Alexa).
- Twitter users in South Africa have an average of 115 followers (My Twitter account currently has 1175 followers).
- South African Twitter users have an average of 346 total tweets (I’m currently closing in on 15,000 tweets so I’m not average at all).
- 26% of South African Twitter users access the service with the Twitter website.
- 10% of South African Twitter users access Twitter via Tweetdeck (which happens to be my favorite Twitter client).
- Most South African Twitter users tweet at night (between 7 and 8 PM).
- South African Twitter users tweet the most on Tuesdays (and I have no idea why).
- The bulk of South African Twitter users are based in Cape Town. Johannesburg comes in at 2nd place, East London in 3rd and my home town Pretoria in 4th on this list.
- According to the report TinaCook is the South African Twitter profile with the most followers (36,269 to be exact), but FIFAWorldCupTM has actually overtaken her since the report came out (currently on 36,998 followers).
- The South African Twitter profile with the most tweets is howdous (currently on 219,382 tweets).
This is definately interesting. I’m glad that I’ve found that I’m an above average Twitter user in South Africa. Twitter usage is bound to increase in the near future though. Cheaper internet connectivity options are becoming available every day and this could definately influence these current figures. Running Wolf’s Rant is regularly updated in the Technology, Sport, Facts, Babes, Photography and Humor categories, so feel free to visit again. Please comment on this post if you have any views and recommend this post to your friends if you have found it interesting.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- 12 Stunning Babes for Tittilating Tuesday - March 14, 2017
- Win Tickets to the April 2017 edition of Park Acoustics featuring Jack Parow - March 14, 2017
- 10 Random Funnies to Kick-Start Your Week - March 13, 2017