Springbok Squad Announced For the 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup
Last night the 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup Springbok Squad was announced on live television. The announced squad contains 18 members of South Africa’s 2007 IRB Rugby World Cup-winning squad. John Smit will remain as the captain in the 30 man squad.
6 players in the squad will be appearing in their third IRB Rugby World Cup tournament. No uncapped players are in the squad. Only 3 of the players have not appeared in this season’s Tri-Nations tournament (loose forwards Schalk Burger & Francois Louw and lock Johann Muller – all 3 of them were ruled out of the competition due to injuries sustained earlier this year).
The 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup Springbok Squad contains 9 Bulls players, 8 Sharks players and 7 Stormers players. Various players are now moving on to overseas clubs though. 4 players in the squad are now based in foreign countries: Ruan Pienaar & Johann Muller (At Ulster), Frans Steyn (At Racing Metro) and Francois Louw (At Bath).
This is the list of players and Springbok IRB Rugby World Cup management team:
- Forwards: John Smit (captain), Victor Matfield (vice-captain), Willem Alberts, Bakkies Botha, Heinrich Brussow, Schalk Burger, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Francois Louw, Tendai Mtawarira, Johann Muller, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw, Pierre Spies, Gurthro Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde.
- Backs: Gio Aplon, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Francois Hougaard, Butch James, Pat Lambie, Odwa Ndungane, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Francois Steyn, Morne Steyn.
- Springbok IRB Rugby World Cup Management Team Members: Peter de Villiers (head coach), Gary Gold (assistant coach), Dick Muir (assistant coach), Percy Montgomery (kicking coach), Jacques Nienaber (defence coach/physiotherapist), Malome Maimane (technical analyst), Rassie Erasmus (technical specialist), Neels Liebel (conditioning coach), Derik Coetzee (conditioning coach), Craig Roberts (doctor), Rene Naylor (physiotherapist), Vivian Verwant (physiotherapist), Daliah Hurwitz (massage therapist), Charles Wessels (logistics manager), Mkiti Malakoane (baggage master), Annelee Murray (PR), Andy Colquhoun (media).
Running Wolf’s Rant would like to take this opportunity to wish the Springboks the best of luck in this year’s tournament. The Springboks play their first match in the tournament against Wales on the 11th of September. They leave South Africa’s Shores on the 1st of September. Go BOKKE!
For a full list of matches scheduled in the tournament, check out the 2011 IRB Rugby World Cup Match Schedule post (which was posted a few days ago on this blog). Watch this space for regular updates in the Sport category on this blog. You might also want to check out the Great Tries section and the photos in the Daily Cool Photo section (some of them were taken at Super 15 matches this year). There is also a Daily Babe section which is updated daily and features over 600 babes from all over the world. Feel free to share any content you enjoy with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
Latest posts by Henno Kruger (see all)
- A quick chat with Thundermerwe - December 5, 2016
- Jack Parow & Jitsvinger stel “Dis Bef*k” Remix vry - December 1, 2016
- Win a Pixies, The Temper Trap etc. CD Hamper! - November 30, 2016