At the end of the 19th century, New York City expanded up to 42nd street on Manhattan island and the area was becoming the center of the city’s social scene. In 1904, the New York Times built the Times Tower on 43rd street just off Broadway to replace the premises in Downtown. The square facing the building was called the Longacre square, but was soon renamed Times Square. The name is now used for the area between 40th and 53rd street and 6th and 9th avenue in Manhattan. The inauguration of the New York Times new headquarters at 1 Times Square was celebrated with a fireworks display, starting a New Year’s eve tradition which still continues today. The first famous ball-lowering from the 1 Times Square’s rooftop pole was held on New Year’s Eve in 1907. This photo of Times Square has been selected as the Daily Cool Photo for 25 March 2010 on Running Wolf’s Rant.