Ancient Egypt was a civilization in North Africa. It’s a subject that has always fascinated me. This civilization dominated the world for thousands of years and definitely left its mark on modern day society.
I don’t like beating around the bush, so here are some facts about Ancient Egypt you might not have known:
- Many of today’s household objects were invented or used by the ancient Egyptians, including the lock and keys, combs, scissors, wigs, makeup, deodorants, toothbrush and toothpaste.
- The Ancient Egyptians were among the very first people to invent writing, along with ink and paper.
- The 365 day calendar and the 24-Hour division of the day are Ancient Egyptian inventions.
- Cement was first invented by the Ancient Egyptians.
- Ancient Egyptians were the first holistic health practitioners. They treated the whole person, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Remedies ranged from herbal and magic medicine to surgery.They prescribed contraceptives, performed circumcisions and conducted pregnancy tests. The practice of mummification made them excel in Anatomy.
- The earliest known wine cellars were discovered in Egypt.
- Ancient Egyptian workers organized the first known labor strike.
- Ancient Egyptians devised irrigation systems, reservoirs and ways of measuring the flood levels. These are called nilometers and several are located along monuments close to the river banks.
- The first written international peace treaty happened between Rameses the Second of Egypt and Hattusili III of the Hittite empire.
- The Egyptian game of Senet is one of the world’s oldest known board games.
If I’ve left out anything important, please comment on this post.