Chile is bordered by Argentina to the East, Bolivia to the North East and Peru to the North. It’s only one 2 countries on the South American continent that are not bordered by Brazil. They played in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa and were knocked out of the tournament. There’s much more to Chile than just football though.
Here are 10 facts about Chile you might not have known:
- Chile declared independence from Spain in 1818 but was only recognized as a country in 1844.
- Spanish is the only Chilean official language.
- An estimated 17 million people live in the country today.
- Although Ferdinand Magellan passed the region in 1520 the conquest of the region only started in 1540 by the Spanish.
- Sebastián Piñera is the current president of the country. He took over from Michelle Bachelet (who was in office from 2006) in March 2010.
- Chile’s coastline stretches 2,700 miles long, running from the Atacama (the world’s most arid desert) in the North, through forests, valleys, mountains, lakes, glacier fields, the Tierra del Fuego and the Antarctic Circle in the South. The country is never more than 110 miles wide East to West.
- There are more than 2,000 volcanoes in the country, of which 50 are actually active.
- David Selkirk, immortalized as Robinson Crusoe, survived a shipwreck and lived for several years on a desert island off the coast of the country, no doubt thriving on the nutritional benefits of fresh fruit.
- Santiago is Chile’s capital and also the largest city in the country with an estimated population of 5.2 million people. Santiago was founded in 1541 by the Spanish.
- The highest point in Chile is Ojos del Salado in the Atacama Region, 6,893 meters (22,614 feet).
Posts have been done before featuring the Santiago skyline, NCIS actress Cote De Pablo and model Leonor Verela (who were both born in Chile). I would not mind visiting Chile one day. Watch this space for regular updates in the Facts, Technology, Music and Movies categories as well as daily updates in the Babes and Photography categories. Feel free to comment on any post that you might find interesting.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant