Coca-Cola is the most popular soft drink in South Africa. It’s also one of the most popular soft drinks in the world. The Coca-Cola company turned 125 years old earlier this week. Coca-Cola was first invented by a pharmacist named John Pemberton (as a medicine to cure headaches) in 1886.
Here are some interesting facts about Coca-Cola:
- Over 1 billion cans of Coke are consumed daily on Planet Earth.
- It’s sold in more than 200 countries around the world.
- Coke can be used to help cure jellyfish stings.
- It can also be used as a cleaning solution, cleaning anything from rusty pans to dirty toilets. It can also be used to remove odor.
- When it was first produced, it was first green.
- Coca-Cola means “to make mouth happy” in Chinese.
- If all the Coke bottles in the world were laid end to end they would reach the moon and back more than 1,677 times.
- The bottling rights were sold for US$1.00 in the 1890s. The trademark Coca-Cola, used in the marketplace since 1886, was registered with the US Patent Office on the 31st of January 1893 and the trademark “Coke” was registered in 1945.
- Coca-Cola and the Olympics began their association in Amsterdam (in the Netherlands) in the summer of 1928. That association has continued for all subsequent Games.
- There are nearly 10,450 soft drinks from the Coca-Cola Company (who now makes 500 brands of soft drinks) consumed every second of every day.
Hope you’ve found these facts interesting. For more facts, check out this post on Tuks FM DJ’s Alex Caige’s blog: http://alexcaige.blogspot.com/2011/05/coca-cola-celebrates-125-years.html. What are your thoughts about this? Please comment on this post and let the readers of Running Wolf’s Rant know. Feedback is appreciated and welcome. The Previous 10 facts topic on this blog featured Osama Bin Laden, feel free to check it out. Watch this space for more posts in this section in the near future. Also watch this space for updates in the Daily Babe and Daily Cool Photo sections on this blog. A large chunk of the posts on the blog feature South African bits and pieces, so feel free to check them out. There’s TV Adverts, Songs, Funny Clips, Movie Trailers, Funny Pictures, Photo Albums and more.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant