Here are 10 facts about Metallica:
- Metallica was formed in 1981 in Los Angeles, California in the United States.
- The band was formed when Kirk Hammett responded to an advert that drummer Lars Ulrich had placed in his local newspaper.
- To date the band has released 9 studio albums, 3 live albums, 5 extended plays, 24 music videos & 45 singles.
- Their first studio album, Kill’em All, was released in 1983.
- They have won 9 Grammy Awards over the years.
- Five consecutive Metallica albums have made their debut in the Billboard Top 200 chart.
- Metallica (released in 1991 and commonly referred to as “the Black album”) is probably the most successful and popular album released by Metallica. To date the album has sold 15 million copies in the United States and 22 million copies worldwide.
- The current members of the band are James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo.
- Former members of the band include Ron McGovney , Dave Mustaine (who left the band and started Megadeth in 1983), Cliff Burton (who died when the Metallica’s tour bus over-turned in rural Southern Sweden) and Jason Newsted (who left Metallica in 2001).
- My favorite song by Metallica, Whiskey in the Jar, was not originally written by them. The song was an original Irish folk song and it was first recorded in 1951 by Seamus Ennis (from Ireland). The 2nd most popular version of the song was recorded by Thin Lizzy in 1972.
There you have it, 10 facts about Metallica. Check out their official website at http://www.metallica.com/.
If you have been living under a rock for the past 20 years you might not know what Metallica sounds like, this is the music video for their song, Whiskey in the Jar
Feel free to comment on this post if you know of another interesting fact about Metallica. Feedback is appreciated and welcome. Also feel free to check out the other posts in the Facts category of Running Wolf’s Rant.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant