The 10 facts section on Running Wolf’s Rant has grown in the last few months and has become somewhat popular with readers. I truly hope that all who reads this section is finding it interesting. I have not visited Moscow yet, but I would like to one day.
Here are some facts about Moscow you might not have known:
- The city was established before 1147 AD. Yuri Dolgoruki is credited as the founder of the city.
- It’s the largest city in Federal Russia and is the 7th largest city in the world with a population of over 10 million people.
- It’s situated on the banks of the Moskva River. 49 bridges within the city’s limits cross the river.
- The Red Square was originally a marketplace in the 15th century. The site was used for May Day parades during the reign of the Soviet regime and also houses Lenin’s mausoleum.
- Gorky Park, a leisure and amusement park in Moscow stretches for 3 kilometers along the Moskva River was named after Maxim Gorky and was opened in 1928.
- The Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow was established in 1856 and is the largest depository of Russian fine art in the world. The gallery contains more than 130,000 exhibits.
- St. Basil Cathedral, a Russian Orthodox cathedral on the Red Square was built between 1555 and 1561. It was the tallest building in the city before 1600.
- It was the capital of Russia from 1480 until 1703, the capital of the USSR from 1922 until 1991 and became the capital of the Russian Federation in 1992. Between 1703 and 1922 St. Petersburg was the capital of Russia.
- The Moscow Metro was opened in 1935 and is the world’s second most heavily used subway system behind the Tokyo subway system in Japan. 180 stations are in the subway network and an average of 6.6 million people use the Moscow Metro daily.
- In 2008, Moscow ranked top on the list of most expensive cities for the third year in a row.
If I’ve left out anything important about Moscow, please comment on this post.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant