It’s been ages since I’ve posted something in the Facts category on Running Wolf’s Rant, so today I’m going to attempt something, so here’s 10 Interesting Music Facts that will blow your mind.
1. Nirvana released “Bleach” on the Sub Pop label on the 15th of June 1989, but I bet you did not know this about the album (which was produced by Jack Endino). To date, “Bleach” has sold 1.7 million copies in the USA alone.
2. The Rolling Stones front man, Mick Jagger, is turning 72 this year (on the 26th of July). In 1989 he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and in 2004 into the UK Music Hall of Fame (with the Rolling Stones). He was also knighted for his services to popular music in 2003, but you probably did not know this sporting fact about him.
3. Queen front man Freddie Mercury was 45 years old when he died in 1991. He was born as Farrokh Bulsara and will go down in the annals of history as one the legends of rock. It seems that he was good at writing songs, almost everywhere.
4. Kanye West actually said this in an interview with the New York Times in 2013. It has to be the most arrogant thing that I’ve read in an interview. I mean, who compares themselves to Steve Jobs? He is a little disillusioned if you ask me.
5. Radiohead have been along for longer than I thought. To date the band have sold more than 30 million records worldwide. Most of you probably did not know that they were called something different when they started out 30 years ago…
6. Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page turned 71 in January this year. He began his career as a studio session musician in London and by the mid 1960’s, he had become the most sought-after session guitarist in England. He was a member of the Yardbirds for 2 years before he eventually founded Led Zeppelin in 1968 and he definitely worked hard to get to the top…
7. I’ve been following Pearl Jam since he early 1990’s and I really hope that they make it to South African shores in the near future. Maybe they’ll record a live album if they play in Johannesburg or Cape Town…
8. Sublime’s Bradley Nowell died of a heroin overdose in 1996 (before the band’s first major label release). That meant the end of the band, but to date Sublime has sold over 17 million albums worldwide. You have probably seen the dog in the “What I Got” music video, but you probably did not know this about him…
9. Jimi Hendrix would have turned 72 this year. You may not have known this about one of the greatest guitarists of all time…
10. “Weeping” has also been recorded by Josh Groban, Qkumba Zoo, the Soweto String Quartet (with guest vocalist Vusi Mahlasela), Coenie de Villiers, the Kearsney College Choir, James Stewart, Jinny Sagorin, the Soweto Gospel Choir, Josh Groban, Louise Carver and the Drakensberg Boys Choir.
Well, there you have it, 10 Interesting Music Facts that will blow your mind. I trust that you found these interesting. If so, feel free to share this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music and Facts category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
To stay in the loop, subscribe to our Newsletter.
Alternatively, feel free to check out our Featured Posts or scroll down to view posts related to this one.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).
You're also welcome to feed your brain some knowledge on our other sister site, (Interesting Facts).