In case you did not know, The Cosmic Strange is a a four piece alternative / indie band from Johannesburg, South Africa. Drawing in equal measure from the acid-tinged waters of neo-psychedelia and melodically rich sound of modern Indie rock, The Cosmic Strange provides you with a soundtrack in which to drown the day. Their sights are firmly fixed on establishing a presence in the music scene and they set out to create waves in January 2015.
You probably want to know more about The Cosmic Strange and I don’t feel like beating around the bush, so here are 10 things you didn’t about them:
1. They toyed with the name “Tree Fiddy” as an ode to one of their favourite shows, South Park, before changing their minds. (Thanks guys, at least it rules out confusion when someone had the urge to tell us “Tree Fiddy” is playing at Three Thirty – try saying that when you’re drunk…)”.
2. Three of the four members were once in a metal band. By “once” they mean back when MySpace was still a thing. Yes, that long ago. (Nice, glad you guys moved on from MySpace, Tom must be really sad though).
3. James’ (their bassist) hair is real. Don’t believe them? Go ahead and touch it. (Challenge accepted…)
4. At the genesis of the project, Nick (who’s on vocals and guitars) didn’t intend on being the vocalist, but several unsuccessful auditions eventually thrust the mic into his hands. The band likes to think he is doing a pretty good job at it! (I’ve listened to “Sunsnare” and I agree).
5. Most of their songs have been written on a Stratocaster. (Impressive)
6. Jethro was the drummer for Dance, You’re on Fire. (That brings back a lot of memories, thanks guys).
7. We’re all not-so-secretly in love with Pollinator. (Don’t worry, Tim Edwards and I are as well).
8. One of the band’s members has a vape addiction, but he won’t admit it (they are talking about you Nick).
9. Josh (guitars) regularly trades, sells, and buys new gear. He calls it the search for perfect tone, but everyone else calls it an obsession. (A little healthy obsession doesn’t hurt anyone).
10. The Cosmic Strange will be releasing two EP’s this year, the first of which in mid-June. (I’m definitely looking forward to this and you should be too).
Well, there you have it, 10 things you didn’t know about The Cosmic Strange. If you’re not familiar with their music, crank up their song, “Hypnotize” below:
I’d like to thank The Cosmic Strange for providing us with these facts and I wish them all of the best with their future musical endeavours. If you found something interesting, please feel free to share this article with your friends on Facebook.