In case you did not know, the 60th annual Grammy Awards winners were announced on Sunday night at a awards ceremony in New York.
This year Bruno Mars & Kendrick Lamar won the most awards. Mars walked away with 6 of the statuettes and Lamar walked away with 5 of them. Ed Sheenan won 2 awards. I think congratulations are in order to South African representatives Ladysmith Black Mambazo who walked away with their 5th Grammy Award. More than 80 Grammy Awards were handed out at this year’s awards ceremony.
Here’s a list of the 60th Annual Grammy Award Winners:
- Album of the Year: Bruno Mars – 24K Magic.
- Record of the Year: Bruno Mars – “24K Magic”.
- Song of the Year: “That’s What I Like” – Christopher Brody Brown, James Fauntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus & Jonathan Yip, songwriters (Bruno Mars).
- Best New Artist: Alesia Cara
- Best Solo Pop Performance: Ed Sheeran – Shape of You.
- Best Pop / Duo Group Performance: Portugal. The Man – “Feel It Still”.
- Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album: Tony Bennett Celebrates 90.
- Best Pop Vocal Album: Divide – Ed Sheeran.
- Best Dance Recording: “Tonite” – LCD Soundsystem.
- Best Dance / Electronic Album: 3-D The Catalogue – Kraftwerk.
- Best Contemporary Instrumental Album: Prototype – Jeff Lorber Fusion.
- Best Rock Performance: “You Want It Darker” — Leonard Cohen.
- Best Metal Performance: “Sultan’s Curse” — Mastodon.
- Best Rock Song: “Run” – Foo Fighters.
- Best Rock Album: A Deeper Understanding – The War On Drugs.
- Best Alternative Music Album: Sleep Well Beast – The National.
- Best R&B Performance: “That’s What I like” – Bruno Mars.
- Best Traditional R&B Performance: “Redbone”- Childish Gambino.
- Best R&B Song: “That’s What I Like” – Christopher Brody Brown, James Fauntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus & Jonathan Yip, songwriters (Bruno Mars).
- Best Urban Contemporary Album: Starboy – The Weeknd.
- Best R&B Album: 24K Magic – Bruno Mars.
- Best Rap Performance: “HUMBLE.” – Kendrick Lamar.
- Best Rap/Sung Performance: “LOYALTY.” — Kendrick Lamar Featuring Rihanna
- Best Rap Song: “HUMBLE.” – Duckworth, Asheton Hogan & M. Williams II, songwriters (Kendrick Lamar).
- Best Rap Album: DAMN. – Kendrick Lamar.
- Best Country Solo Performance: “Either Way” – Chris Stapleton.
- Best Country Duo/Group Performance: “Better Man” – Little Big Town.
- Best Country Song: “Broken Halos” – Mike Henderson & Chris Stapleton, songwriters (Chris Stapleton).
- Best Country Album: From a Room: Volume 1 – Chris Stapleton.
- Best New Age Album: Dancing On Water – Peter Kater.
- Best Improvised Jazz Solo: “Miles Beyond” – John McLaughlin, soloist.
- Best Jazz Vocal Album: Dreams and Daggers – Cécile McLorin Salvant
- Best Jazz Instrumental Album: Rebirth — Billy Childs.
- Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album: Bringin’ It — Christian McBride Big Band.
- Best Latin Jazz Album: Jazz Tango – Pablo Ziegler Trio.
- Best Comedy Album: The Age Of Spin & Deep In The Heart Of Texas — Dave Chappelle.
- Best Music Video: “Humble.” — Kendrick Lamar.
- Best World Music Album: Shaka Zulu Revisited: 30th Anniversary Celebration — Ladysmith Black Mambazo.
You can check out the full list of the winners HERE. If you are a regular reader of RWR, you’ll know that I’m not very interested in the popular music genres, but I have nothing but respect for those who won this year.
I really hope that rock will make a comeback at the Grammys again though. It’s about time that a rock artist or band wins the award for Record of the Year.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Running Wolf’s Rant.