I was born in 1977, so I don’t have a recollection of the year 1975. This year has been selected as the 20 Facts topic for today. It’s hard to believe that this year in history occurred 35 years ago already. I hope the facts laid out on this post are the most notable events of the year 1975.
The photo above is a cover of People magazine from that year. You might recognize Candice Bergen on the cover. She has since gained fame for her role in Murphy Brown and recently in Boston Legal.
Here are 20 facts about 1975:
- South Africa lost its membership of the World Meteorological Organization in 1975 due to its racial policies. Nicholaas Johannes Diederichs became the 4th state president of South Africa in the same year. The South Africa Defence Force invaded Angola in Operation Savannah. Bram Fischer (former SA Communist Party leader) died in this year whilst under house arrest in Bloemfontein.
- Bruce Jacobs (South African Field hockey player), Magdalena Wrobel (Model), Niki Taylor (Model), Bradley Cooper (Actor), Moon Bloodgood (Actress), Charlize Theron (Actress), Drew Barrymore (Actress), Natalie Imbruglia (Musician), KaDee Strickland (Actress), Tara Reid (Actress), Milla Jovovich (Actress & Model), Nikki Visser (Model), Elena Anaya (Actress), Eva Langoria (Actress), Jolene Blalock (Science Fiction Actress), David Beckham (Football player), Melany B (Scary Spice), Angelina Jolie (Actress), Zach Braff (Actor), Russell Brand (Comedian), 50 Cent (Rapper), Kate Winslet (Actress), Daniel Tosh (Comedian), Travis Barker (Blink 182 drummer), Jaime Bergman (Model), André 3000 (Musician) and Lauryn Hill (Musician) were all born in this year.
- The Boomtown Rats and Iron Maiden were formed. Stealer’s Wheel disbanded in the same year.
- The Altair 8800 was released in 1975, sparking the era of the microcomputer.
- Portugal granted Angola, Mozambique and Cape Verde independence in 1975. East Timor (former Portugeuse Timor) and Sao Tome and Principe declared independence from Portugal in the same year. The Comoros declared independence from France in 1975. Suriname (in South America) gained independence from the Netherlands and Papa New Guinea gained independence from Australia. Tuvalu gained independence from the United Kingdom.
- Charlie Chaplin was knighted by Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- Bill Gates founded Microsoft in Albuquerque, New Mexico in the United States.
- Teamsters Union president Jimmy Hoffa was reported missing.
- Motorola obtained the patent for the first portable mobile phone.
- BIC launched the first disposable Razor in 1975,
- Sony introduced Betamax videotapes and Matsushita / JVC introduced VHS videotapes in this year.
- Saturday Night Live made its debut on NBC. Comedian George Carlin was the first host of the popular program.
- The United Nations General Assembly approved a resolution equating Zionism with racism in this year. The resolution provoked an outcry among Jews around the world.
- The Irish Republican Army (IRA) was outlawed in the United Kingdom in 1975.
- Six people, including Carlos (the Jackal) kidnapped delegates of an OPEC conference in Vienna, Austria in this year.
- Jaws, Dog Day Afternoon, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Barry Lyndon was released.
- King Faisal of Saudi Arabia was shot and killed by his mentally ill nephew.
- Junko Tabei became the first woman in history to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
- Chinese archeologists discovered a large burial site with 6,000 clay statutes of warriors from 221 BC.
- NASA launched the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars.
If I’ve left out anything important about 1975 on this post, please comment on this post. Running Wolf’s Rant is updated daily in the Babes and Photography categories. The Facts, Technology, Conspiracy Theories, Movies, Music and Opinion categories are updated regularly as well, so watch this space. You might also consider becoming a fan of Running Wolf’s Rant on Facebook for daily updates.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant