It’s hard to believe that 1976 is already 34 years ago this year. It’s definately one of the most interesting years in history. Lots of things happened in 1976 in South Africa and around the world that are worth mentioning. I was only born one year later, in 1977, so I have no recollection of this year.
But I have heard a lot about it. Up to know I’ve covered 20 about the years 1971, 1972, 1977 and 1978. It will be an honor to add 1976 to this list. Hope you find this post entertaining and informational. If I’ve left something notable out please tap me on the shoulder and comment on this post. The photo added to this post is of Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak of Apple Computer fame and was taken in 1976.
Here are a list of events that occurred in 1976:
- The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) started it’s television service in South Africa on the 5th of January 1976.
- The luxury jet plane, the Concorde, embarked on its first commercial flight in January 1976.
- The 1976 the Winter Olympics were held in Innsbruck in Austria and the Summer Olympics were held in Montreal, Canada. Nadia Comaneci (from Romania) earned the first of 7 perfect scores of 10 in gymnastics at the event.
- In Africa, Western Sahara declared independence in 1976 after Spanish Armed forces withdrew from the territory.
- Harold Wilson resigned as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in 1976. He is succeed by James Callaghan who is succeeded by Edward Heath in the same year.
- Argentinian military forces deposed president Isabel Peron in 1976. Jorge Videla (a military dictator) succeeds her as the 43rd president of Argentina.
- The Apple Computer company was formed on the 1st of April 1976 by Steve Jobbs and Steve Wozniak.
- On the 16th of June 1976 the Soweto riots occurred in South Africa (just outside Johannesburg). Black youths protested against the policies of South Africa’s Apartheid government. Many people were killed and injured in the incident. The 16th of June is now declared a public holiday in South Africa and known as Youth Day.
- In 1976 North Vietnam and South Vietnam united to form the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- On the 4th of July 1976 the United States celebrated the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. The United States Treasury Department reintroduced the 2 Dollar bill as a Federal Reserve Note on Thomas Jefferson’s 233rd birthday as part of the United States Bicentennial celebration in the same year.
- Jimmy Carter was nominated for U.S. President at the Democratic National Convention in New York City in 1976. He won the election to become the 39th president of the United States of America.
- In New York City, the “Son of Sam” pulled a gun from a paper bag, killing 1 and seriously wounding another. It was the first in a series of attacks that terrorized the city for the next year.
- In London, Big Ben suffered internal damage and stopped running for over 9 months in 1976.
- Viking 2 entered into orbit around Mars in 1976. The Viking 2 spacecraft landed at Utopia Planitia on Mars, taking the first close-up color photos of the planet’s surface in the same year. The Viking 1 lander successfully landed on Mars in 1976. NASA released the famous “Face on Mars” photo taken by the lander in the same year.
- Chairman Mao Zedong of the People’s Republic of China died in 1976. Hua Guofeng succeeded him as Chairman of the Communist Party of China.
- Microsoft was officially registered with the Office of the Secretary of the State of New Mexico in the United States in 1976.
- Bob Marley and his manager Don Taylor were shot in an assassination attempt in Kingston, Jamaica in 1976.
- The world’s first laser printer was introduced by IBM in 1976.
- The musical groups Black Flag, The Clash, The Cure, Foreigner, Joy Division and Madness were all formed in 1976. The Irish rock band U2 was formed after drummer Larry Mullen Jr. posted a note seeking members for a band on the notice board of his Dublin school in 1976.
- Bob Skinstad (Springbok rugby player), Fred Savage (actor), Seann William Scott (actor), Alicia Silverstone (actress), Ali Larter (actress), Melissa George (actress), Emily Deschanel (actress), Piper Perabo (actress), Melissa Joan Hart (actress), Diane Kruger (actress), Cat Deeley (TV presenter), Colin Farrell (actor), Jennifer Capriati (tennis player), Reese Witherspoon (actress) and Shannon Elizabeth (actress) were all born in 1976.
Watch this space for more 20 facts posts. Also check out the other posts on Running Wolf’s Rant. Many topics are covered on here, including Music, Movies, Facts, Technology, Photography and Babes, so watch this space in the future.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant