Sean Connery, the legendary Scottish actor (who gained international fame for portraying the role of British Secret Agent James Bond in 7 films) passed away on Saturday the 31st of October 2020. He was 90 years old. According to his family, Connery suffered from dimentia in his final years. He died at his home in Nassau (the capital city of The Bahamas).
More info about Sean Connery
He was born as Thomas Sean Connery in Edinburgh, Scotland on the 25th of August 1930. Connery was named after his grandfather. His first job was working as a milkman for St. Cuthbert’s Co-operative Society in Edindburgh. He joined the Royal Navy when he was 16 years old, but discharged at the age of 19 (due to a medical condition).
After this he worked as a lorry driver, a lifeguard, a labourer, an artist’s model for the Edinburgh College of Art and a coffin polisher. He started body building at the age of 18 and even dabbled in football before he decided to become an actor at the bright age of 23.
Connery was an extra in the 1954 film, Let’s Make Up. He was not credited for his role, but this was ,the first film he appeared in. He appeared in various TV shows and movies throughout the 1950s before he landed the role of James Bond for 1962’s Dr. No. He didn’t only gain fame for his role as James Bond though…
Sean Connery will also be remembered for voicing the dragon in Dragonheart, playing Dr. Henry Jones in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade, playing Ramirez in two of the Highlander films, playing the Russian commander in The Hunt For Red October, playing SAS Captain John Patrick Mason in The Rock and playing Malone in The Untouchables (a role that won him the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor).
Connery was married to actress Diane Cliento from 1962 to 1973. They seperated in 1971. His son, Jason Connery was born in 1963. He married French-Moroccan painter Micheline Roquebrune in 1975. He was knighted in the 2000 for his services in film drama and eventually announced his retirement from acting in 2006. Connery briefly came out of retirement in 2012 to voice a character in 2012 animated film Sir Billi.
Here are 20 Sean Connery Quotes That Will Inspire / Motivate You:
1. “There is nothing like a challenge to bring out the best in man.”
2. “Love may not make the world go round, but I must admit that it makes the ride worthwhile.”
3. “If you’re afraid of getting a rotten apple, don’t go to the barrel. Get it off the tree.”
4. “No thinking—that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is… to write, not to think!”
5. “The knighthood I received was a fantastic honor but it’s not something I’ve ever used and I don’t think I ever will.”
6. “More than anything else, I’d like to be an old man with a good face, like Hitchcock or Picasso.”
7. “There’s one major difference between James Bond and me. He is able to sort out problems!”
8. “I’m fed up with the idiots… the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who green-light the movies.”
9. “I take the good with the bad. I can’t love people in slices.”
10. “They say if you resort to violence, then you’ve already lost.”
11. “I’m an actor – it’s not brain surgery. If I do my job right, people won’t ask for their money back.”
12. “If anything could have pulled me out of retirement, it would have been an Indiana Jones film. But in the end, retirement is just too much fun.”
13. “I haven’t found anywhere in the world where I want to be all the time. The best of my life is the moving. I look forward to going.”
14. “Some age, others mature. ”
15. “I met my wife through playing golf. She is French and couldn’t speak English and I couldn’t speak French, so there was little chance of us getting involved in any boring conversations – that’s why we got married really quickly.”
16. “Scotland should be nothing less than equal with all the other nations of the world.”
17. “If America had been discovered as many times as I have, no one would remember Columbus.”
18. “You know, the Oscar I was awarded for The Untouchables is a wonderful thing, but I can honestly say that I’d rather have won the U.S. Open Golf Tournament.”
19. “Everything I have done or attempted to do for Scotland has always been for her benefit, never my own and I defy anyone to prove otherwise.”
20. “I have always hated that damn James Bond. I’d like to kill him.”
Well, there you have it, 20 Sean Connery Quotes That Will Inspire / Motivate You. If I left anything out, feel free to comment below.
Check out the Sean Connery tribute that the Joblo Movie Network posted on YouTube a few hours ago below:
RIP Sean Connery. You will definitely be missed and remembered for years to come.
Watch this space for updates in the Quotes category on Running Wolf’s Rant.