Vodacom have asked me to write a blog post about How I Unlock the Power of the Internet, and I thought that I’d give it a shot.
The Internet has grown since its early days. When I first encountered it back in the late 1990s it was nothing like it is today. There were limited browser choices and virtually no adverts, images or videos online. Back then saving info on stiffy disks used to be in style and connection speeds were also slower than Father’s Day in Mexico. And I don’t even want to go into the ridiculously high phone bills that I used to pay for using dial-up in this country. If I recall correctly my highest dial-up bill was something like R2,000+. I’m speaking under correction, but I’m probably responsible for at least 0.3% of Telkom’s revenue between 1998 and 2002.
That all changed in 2003 when I activated my first broadband connection. This had a huge impact on the way I viewed the internet. For the first time I was able to experience the way it should be experience by everyone. It just made unlocking the power of the internet easier.
Thanks to even better connectivity today, I Unlock the Power of the Internet in these 5 ways daily:
- I blog daily: Since 2008 Running Wolf’s Rant has been in existence. I started this blog because one of my online friends (whom I haven’t met till this day) told me to start one because, according to her “I had way too much to tell the world”. Since then it has developed into a daily activity for me. It’s also opened a lot of doors professionally. To give you an idea: One of my daily tasks at my current job is to write blog posts. A few years ago my daily job consisted of answering phones and e-mails at the same company. My blog has also become an excellent platform to promote events and give feedback of ones I’ve been to (like Oppikoppi, RAMFest, etc).
- I tweet like a race horse on steroids: I discovered the power of Twitter back in 2009 when I started doing work with social media. I quickly discovered that Twitter is more powerful than most people think. I started tweeting intensely throughout 2010 and the rest is kinda history. I Unlock The Power of the Internet with Twitter Daily by interacting with my readers / followers and networking with fellow bloggers, musicians and other media folk out there. To give you an idea, I’ve met over 100 people via Twitter in the last 2 years, just one of the reasons why I consider Twitter an ultimate way to Unlock the Power of the Internet.
- I use Facebook like a heroin addict: I honestly can’t remember what I did online before I discovered Facebook in 2007. And I’ll admit, I have been addicted to it ever since. I Unlock the Power of the Internet daily by sharing blog posts that I wrote, interesting links, funny pictures, commenting on statuses and managing Facebook pages for various brands. I also interact with friends and family and sometimes I even conduct business via Facebook. Facebook has also empowered me to get more exposure for my photography. Like many folks out there, it has become part of my daily routine, no question about that. If you’re not on Facebook nowadays, I seriously don’t know how you Unlock The Power of the Internet.
- I stream YouTube videos more than average Joe out there: YouTube has changed the way I see the world. If you told someone that you would be able to watch videos online and there would almost be no need for a television, they’d probably laugh at you. Nowadays you can find anything on YouTube: Music Videos for your favorite song, How To videos for almost anything that you can think of, ridiculously funny clips of people doing stupid things, movie trailers for upcoming films, etc. The list of what you can find on YouTube is really endless if you ask me. YouTube is just another way I Unlock The Power of the Internet.
- I read a lot of News and blogs Online: The Internet is my main source of information. I read a lot of blogs online, some of my favorites are Memeburn, Bangers and Nash, Texx and The City, Gevaaalik.com, Watkykjy and Imod (to name just a few). If I wanna find out whats hot in the Social Media Sphere I check out Mashable. I also read a lot of Music websites like NME and Rolling Stone. And I spent quite some time reading the latest news on News 24, IOL, Times LIVE and Eyewitness News. I Unlock the Power of the Internet by staying informed. Staying informed is very important if you ask me.
There you have it, the 5 ways that I Unlock the Power of the Internet Daily. I hope this has provided you with insight about me.
Want to Unlock the Power of the Internet as well? Well, you have a chance to win one of 2 Vodacom 5 Gb Data packages with Running Wolf’s Rant. All you have to do to enter is to comment on this post and let me know how you Unlock the Internet daily and Retweet this post on Twitter and mention the #unlockthenet hashtag in the tweet. Easy enough if you ask me. The competition closes on Monday (the 3rd of September 2012) at 12 Noon
Watch this space for regular updates in the Technology category on Running Wolf’s Rant.
Blogger, Desktop Activist, Twitter / Facebook Addict, Music Festival Addict, Avid lover of South African music, Founder and owner of Running Wolf’s Rant