Choosing argumentative essay topics requires a great deal of tact. Get it wrong and the essay is doomed from the very start. Get it right and your half way there to obtaining the higher grades. Argumentative assignments require a great deal of passion to fit the tone a task like this demands, yet at the same time people need to control their passions.
The first step in choosing one of these topics is to aim for a topic which divides people. Opting for something where only a minority believes in one side of the argument isn’t a good idea since it’s seen as taking the easy way out, if you side with the majority. The more divided a topic is the harder it is to convince somebody of the correctness of your side. It demonstrates a high level of maturity, and this works in your favour.
Students in Australia must always pick something they know about, though. Having the ability to effectively argue something requires a deep knowledge of both your side and the opposing side’s argument. Ensure you have extensive knowledge of your topic before choosing it for an argumentative paper.
Here are 50 argumentative essay topics from Evolution Writers. These topics divide opinion and demonstrate a high level of maturity and expertise if used correctly:
1. Mothers should have a bigger say in parenting.
2. Dieting is pointless on its own.
3. Romance is not a prerequisite for a happy marriage.
4. The War on Terror is a cover for eroding civil rights.
5. Children of divorcees should spend equal time with both parents.
6. Prostitution should be legal.
7. Free immigration between countries should be allowed.
8. Plagiarism isnt always a bad thing.
9. Theres nothing wrong with adultery.
10. Theft is a result of government policy.
10 down, 40 to go
11. Political corruption is an inevitable result of government.
12. Corruption in society is an unstoppable force.
13. Personal finance shouldnt a barrier to education.
14. Rich people should be allowed to pay off their crimes.
15. More sex guarantees a happier marriage.
16. Universities are no longer solely about education.
17. The institution of marriage is outdated.
18. Gay marriage should be enforced across all religious boundaries.
19. Trade unions should be banned.
20. Students who cheat in exams should be expelled.
20 down, 30 to go
21. Men should be the main family breadwinners.
22. The age of consent should be removed.
23. Teachers in extra martial affairs should be sacked.
24. Politics needs to become a part of the school curriculum.
25. Doctors should learn about religion before practicing.
26. Theres nothing wrong with online piracy.
27. Convicted rapists should be sterilised.
28. The military is no longer a useful institution in society.
29. Education is vital to a successful future.
30. Teachers should have to retrain every ten years.
30 down, 20 to go
31. More inspections are needed in schools.
32. Space programs should be combined as a world institution.
33. More aid needs to be sent to the developing world.
34. Rationing of fuel is a good idea.
35. Sodomy isn’t a sin.
36. Political figures are out of touch with society.
37. Public figures should be struck off if they break the law.
38. Condoms need to be more accessible.
39. More knowledge of computer hacking is needed.
40. Governments must infringe on civil rights to protect us.
40 down, 10 to go
41. Surrendering soldiers should be given no quarter.
42. More people should work from home.
43. Additional emphasis on sex education is needed.
44. Prostitutes are as heroic as soldiers for doing such a dangerous job.
45. Theres not enough awareness of mental health issues in society.
46. All men and women should complete a year of civil service.
47. Community service isn’t a punishment.
48. The smoking ban should be lifted.
49. More awareness of the dangers of alcohol is needed.
50. Governments should provide more funding to sports.
Which Argumentative Essay Topics are missing from this list? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Watch this space for updates in the Hacks category on Running Wolf’s Rant.