This post contains an infographic showcasing some Global Beer statistics. Being a beer drinker I find this fascinating, but before I get into that, check out these interesting facts about it below:
1. The oldest written recipes discovered are for making beer and date back to more than 5000 years ago.
2. The oldest advert for this brewed beverage appears on a clay tablet (discovered in Syria in 1974) dates back to 4000 BC – the advert reads “Drink Elba Beer! The beer with a heart of a lion!”.
3. The first professional brewers were all women.
4. The first recorded drunk driving incident dates back to 2000 BC. The culprit was an Egpytian charioteer. He was crucified against the tavern that sold him the beer’s door.
5. There are over 400 types for this type of alcohol.
6. Belgium has the most individual brands of this type of alcohol in the world.
7. Zythology is the study of beer and beer making, including the role particular ingredients play in the brewing process & Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.
8. The most expensive brew in the world is Vielle Bon Secours. It sells for $1000 a bottle and is only available at the Bierdome in London.
9. The oldest claimed functional brewery in the world is the Bayerische Staatsbrauerie near Munich (in Germany). It was founded in 1040 AD.
10. One of the oldest laws in the world is related to this kind of beverage. King Hummurabi of Babylon decreed that each person was entitled a daily ration, determined by their social status. He went on to say that women who served bad beer would be drowned.
11. All this booze talk is making me thirsty, let’s all have a cold one now!
Here are those Global Beer statistics as promised
This amazing infographic was compiled by Beer Steins. I’m pretty sure that you will find most of the facts interesting. It’s interesting to note that SAB Miller is the second largest brewery in the world. It was originally founded as South African Breweries in 1895, but is now headquartered in London.
There you have it, some interesting facts and some global beer statistics, all in one article. If you enjoyed reading this article, feel free to share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Sharing is caring after all.
Which fact do you find most fascinating? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Feel free to check out the other posts in the Facts category on Running Wolf’s Rant.